I have my first flight with my 9 month old son on my lap and I am really stressing out about the trip!!! I am worried that he will not sit still and want to crawl all over the place. Does anyone have any advice about traveling with an infant???

I know to pack all his snacks, his toys and his bottles, but I am still stressing. I hate flying!! Luckily it is a short flight!!

CalebsMom111

Asked by CalebsMom111 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Travel

• give him some gravol..it will knock him right out, helps with motion sickness too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i am flying from tx to italy next month, 14hr flight with a two yr old, i have some sites! flyingw/kids.com
    essortment.com/all/travelingwiths_ooe.html

Good Luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I traveled everywhere with my children from the time they were only a few months old . . . all over the US and to and from Europe several times. Keep him as sleep-deprived as possible before the trip, letting him run and expend as much energy at the airport before you actually board the plane in hopes that he'll nap on the flight. Bring the necesseties . . . food, drink, toys, books to keep him occupied. A portable DVD player works really great in keeping them entertained as well.

Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I know parents of young children who give the children benadryl about 1/2 hour before flying. It not only makes them rest/sleep, but it acts as a preventive barrier in case someone on the plane has a cold. Remember, the cabin air is recirculated during the flight because of the cabin pressure; there aren't windows to open above ground! Also, bring a security blanket and favorite stuffed animal/toy. Those little touches from home, along with being held by Mommy, make all the difference in the world for a happy little traveler!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try to keep him awake as long as possible.I noticed with my daughter as soon as the plane was about to depart she would fall right asleep. And if he is awake, just have something from home that will possibly keep his attention for a while. Some people may recommend giving them medicine but to me unless they need it for an ailment, I dont give it to them...but I have come to realize whatever works :) Good Luck!!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Before you board the plane ask if there are any open seats. If so they usually will let you take your car seat. I've been flying with my daughter since she was 2 weeks old. She has been on the plane a total of 7 times and usually falls asleep during or right after take off. One VERY IMPORTANT item to bring with you is a pacifier or something for the baby to chew on. This helps with their sensitive ears.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I flew from Pittsburgh to Orlando with my daughter when she was 3 weeks old, and back 10 days later. I had a bottle for her in her car seat during take off and landing, and tried to nurse while we were in the air. She had other ideas - she fell asleep as we were taking off, and didn't wake up til after we landed! Both ways! I hope you have that kind of luck.
    Eagle85

Answer by Eagle85 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008