My baby has just turned 7 months and all of a sudden has been grapping everything in sight

I guess he is feeling independent so he is grapping and touching everything. In the beginning it was cute but now I think I need to start some sort of disclpine. For example I'm telling him NO when he is grapping my face. I just don't want him to do this behavior to someone else. Is anyone else experiencing this ? Any recommendations ?

debski2010

Asked by debski2010 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's way too young to understand no. I've always heard that you shouldn't always tell them no, say their name and say, that's not for you, or we don't hit and reserve no for dangerous things. Whatever method you choose, just be consistent. It will take a LONG time for them to get it. They don't have the ability to understand it yet.
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 9:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My 7 month old daughter is doing the same thing. I will be curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to teach them not to do this. She doesn't seem to understand what "no" means yet.
    dreamhopefaith

Answer by dreamhopefaith at 5:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• normal and healthy
    make your house more friendly
    try to distract when grabs face
    say gentle in a soft tone, have to say over and over
    started the "gentle" thng with my daughter very young, and she was even good with the parents
    was one of her first words

not much advice-sorry-just noraml development...wait til your child is walking! you will be running all over the place

get down on the childs level=like crawl around - to see what maybe a danger

ENJOY!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with fiatpax. He's just curious and he's interested more now that he can move around more. Good luck!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• becareful, my nepew did that then started to headbut us. use fiatfax's advice and use the gentle but firm vioce.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't punish him or even say no to grabbing. This is how babies learn, by exploring and touching. He has no grasp of right and wrong, and likely won't for a long time
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It's a way of learning for them
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010