Toddler bed

I am thinking about switching my 22 month old into a toddler bed. She has excaped out of her crib 3 times, twice at night and once during naptime. I don't want her to fall out. So for those of you who have tranisitioned your lil one to a toddler bed, was it hard to get them to stay in bed? I am going to take down the crib and put it in storage for my new baby. I also heard that you shouldn't transition a baby into a toddler bed while they are potty training or expecting a new sibling and we are doing both. Any advice would be great.

OliviaOma

Asked by OliviaOma at 11:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well here it goes,i just put my 3 year old in his toddler bed this week hes doing great,only gets out in the mornings,my advise is try it out if she can follow simple instructions,like dont get up or tommrow when you get up no park,not only does it get them to sleep faster but it makes them eager to be morning already,also i would recommend getting side rails for safety plus keep the crib in case it doesnt; work you don't want to have to rebuild it.good luck
    tzingillusion21

Answer by tzingillusion21 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i put my youngest in a big boy bed when he was 17 months old because he got out of it and would show up in our room at 2am so we got him a big bed and has been sleeping it ever since!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I didnt have a problem switching my daughter. She was climbing out of her crib every night and I was also fearful that she would hurt herself. When I first started, I would keep her involved. Let her pick out her sheets and what stuffed animals she wanted to sleep with and keep the bedtime routine the same as the crib. I would close her door, but open it when I went to bed and i would put a gate up at her door so she wouldnt wander through out the house if she got up, she would just stand there and yell for me or daddy. She gets up every now and again still, but ussually when shes had a bad dream and shes scared. Good luck, but just make it fun and they will love it.
    Anonymous

• We switched when my son was 2 1/2 and we started to potty train because we wanted him to be able to get up to go potty if he needs to. The first night he did great.... The first nap was not so good. I hadn't heard anything on the baby monitor, but decided to check on him about 10 mins after we put him down. He was sitting on the chair in his room with his back to the door. He had gotten into the powder and diaper rash cream. There was powder all over the chair. Thankfully the diaper rash cream was almost gone so he wasn't able to get any out. As soon as he saw me he started crying and jumped back into bed. We haven't had any issues since. So, I guess my advise is to set the boundaries at the beginning, make sure she knows that naptime and bedtime are not playtime, and check on her frequently in the beginning. The switch didn't seem to have an effect on the potty training. Good Luck!
    DevlinsMom303

Answer by DevlinsMom303 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• We switched my daughter when she was 15 months old!! She started to climb out of the crib at the young!!! We had no problems with the transition....she has been sleeping through the night ever since we switched!!! The one thing that I think made the switch easier was the we got her a character bed so she gets to see her favorite characters every night before she goes to bed!!!
    BBlanchette

Answer by BBlanchette at 9:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It's crazy we are having all the same problems! My 2 yr. old is very active I'm affraid to put her in a big girl bed also. All this is so nerve racking!!!!
    melamom08

Answer by melamom08 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008