Query about a friend that has passed

Next year is my 20 year high school reunion. In '06,a friend of mine commited suicide. If the reunion commitee comes asking me about her whereabouts,should I just say she passed,or should I play dumb like I have no idea? i really don't want them contacting her mom. I'm afraid if people start asking how she died,I'll stammer about it. there's a whole creepy story behind her life before the suicide.
Can you think of any way I can mention a suicide without going into details?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I really don't think you have to go into details about how or why she died. All you should say is she did pass and you could give the year. I don't think it is anyone's business as to the details.
    NebraskaMomof2

Answer by NebraskaMomof2 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If they ask you I would just tell them she passed away and that it is a touchy subject and they should not contact her mother because it is painful for her.
    You do not need to go into any details.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Just say she passed away unexpectedly. Suicide is unexpected, plus it's not their business to know every little detail of how someone died when they didn't even keep in touch with them or really know them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You don't need to mention a suicide, you simply need to let them know that she is deceased.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think if they ask you should simply say she has passed unexpectedly, give the date, and that even though it has been x amount of time that her family is still grieving pretty hard. I know it would be enough for me not to want to ask any more. No lies there. Just not the whole truth.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't go into details.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• good points...

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• just tell them she past away and drop it. they start asking just sidestep the question. seem like you didn't hear them. if they persue, tell them you still haven't got over it and drop it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• just simply say she passed away in '06. Most people will not ask how she died. If they do just say she died unexpectedly or after a very short illness. It really isn't any of their business.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If they ask tell them she passed away. If they ask how just tell them it was sudden and unexpected and tragic. You can tell them it's better not to contact her mom because it would be upsetting to her. You don't have to give details and if they press you about it just tell them you don't want to go into it and stick to that.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010