How do I tell my 4 year old about sex?

My 4 year old aasked us tonight how mommies get pregnant. He understands that babies come from the mom's belly. He want to know how that baby got there in the first place. He also has been asking for a sibling, and we reply that we are "working on it" or "trying". Tonight he wanted to know how you try. I don't want to mis-inform him, but how much info is too much, and how do you explain it so they understand?

tomib

Asked by tomib at 11:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's totally up to you but my mom always told us that God put the baby in her belly. When we asked how they were "trying" she said we're praying.

At that age it was plenty enough answer for us.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i wouldnt go as far as telling him details but i would just tell him that daddy and mommy puts the baby there and you will explain it to them later and change the subject i went through the same thing with my oldest
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think he's too young for you to go in to detail. I know my grandmother used to say that when two people get married and they want to have a baby, they pray to God to bless them with a baby and if God decides that its time, he will put a baby in the mommys belly. When it was asked why the baby was in the mommys belly, she would say because they are too little and the mommies belly keeps them good and warm. She said that it always used to satisfy the childs curiosity and ussually they went on to tell people that God gave mommy the baby. Its so sweet. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I told my (at the time) 3 and 5 year old stepbabies that Babies R Us was out of babies, so we had to grow our own. Hey - Toys R Us sells toys, so it made sense to them that Babies R Us sold babies! :D

I'd just tell him that mommy and daddy love each other and make a baby together and that's how it gets in there. It takes a long time because you want to make sure that they get a really, really good brother or sister.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• LOL i love your answer Avarah! My son kept asking me when we were going to the baby store. LOL! Then he was convinced that Walmart sold babies and wanted to go there. Now he is REALLY convinced that Babys R Us sells them seeing as I'm pregnant now and we keep going there!

I agree with the other posters here. Your 4 y/o doesn't need to know the details, he's too young to understand. And, to be honest, going into it will bore him and he'll move on. Just tell him that God puts the new baby in mommy's tummy. Or, like a show I watched, say you eat baby seeds and it grows a baby in your belly..............LOL jk
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Diva, that's awesome! I'm so going to have to hijack this question for a moment...

When my (now 6) oldest stepbaby had just turned 5 we were out at dinner and he was being AWEFUL, which was very unusual for him. I turned to my husband and said, "I think we should return him."

My husband was about to rage at me, thinking I meant to send the boys back to their mom because they were misbehaving (rightfully so, I might add). 'til I clarified. "Last time I was at Target they had some very nice little boys. I'm sure we could exchange this one for a well behaved boy, don't you think?"

My stepbaby screamed in the middle of the restaurant, 'NO!! NO!! DON'T RETURN ME!!!"

My husband nearly lost it laughing. Since then we've added to it. LIke, 'Well, that'll teach me to pick one up on clearance!" which was said about my baby when he wouldn't stop screaming one day as a newborn. =D

/hijack
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Ask him what he wants to know. Answer his questions truthfully, but don't volunteer extra information, I doubt he is really ready for that. Teach him about seeds. Literally. It is a great way to teach about male and female and nature.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think the Babies R Us or babies come from god thing will work. I knew a girl who told her son that babies come from the store when he was 9 and he believed it. So it will probably work for you too.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would just tell him that babies come from God and leave it at that..he is too young to know about sex in my opinion....save that for when he is like 10...
    Anonymous