Marriage ban overturned...

So I havent read all the everything and was wondering if you ladies knew..

Is this affective immediately? I mean if a bunch of people rush to the courthouse right now are they eligible for marriage licenses?

Will the marriage STILL be valid IF this is over turned??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is this about gay marriage?

Sorry I'm slighty lost. Lol
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• LMAO..sorry about that!! Yes the GAY marriage ban....sorry figured that one was pretty simple to figure out :)
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I doubt they will bother trying a 3rd time when they've finally been officially shot down on constitutional grounds. They aren't fighting this decision so they'd have to pass yet ANOTHER new law with entirely different wording to try and get this through again. In that case it would depend on how they worded the new law if older marriages were grandfathered in. As far as the court is concerned, though, this is over and done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Hehe, if I had read a few more questions it would have been clear as day. Oops.

I hope its effective immediatly and I hope they remain valid if it gets overturned again.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• the marriages performed under the suspension of 8 are still legally valid.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• When they overturned back to defining marriage between a man and a woman it was effectively immediately, the same goes for the overturning of prop 8.

Answer by older at 7:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes it is affective immediately. They wouldn't try and over turn it now, even igf they did with the reason behind the judges ruling they would be setting them selfs up for failure. It would be pointless. This is going to stick.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ok...JUST read THIS

Despite the favorable ruling for same-sex couples, gay marriage will not be allowed to resume immediately. Judge Walker said he wants to decide whether his order should be suspended while the proponents of the ban pursue their appeal in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.  AND THIS Both sides previously said an appeal was certain if Walker did not rule in their favor. The case would go first to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, then the Supreme Court if the high court justices agree to review it.

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Here..... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38560562/ns/us_news-life/

So I guess it's still up in the air....

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• What when did that come out this morning they said affective today. That is BS. over rule it then make them still have to wait. What crap.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010