do i just let him sleep?

i have what is called a hypothyroid and i am waiting for the doctor to increas my doseage. in the mean time my 2 month old son is sleeping alot and doesn't want to wake up and eat. i have tried everything to wake him up and nothing will work until he is ready to wake up. he is going 6 or 7 hours between feedings. i will be on the right dose of medication by the end of this week and he will be not sleeping so much when that happens. until then do i just let him sleep? he isn't losing any weight or anything.

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 6:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 2 months my daughter was sleeping about 6-7 hours at night. During they day she was eating more frequently than that though.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 6:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I raised my children under the belief that you don't wake up a sleeping baby to feed. Of course, if your doctor is concerned about development or weight, then you need to follow doctor's orders. The amount of time your son sleeps shouldn't have anything to do with the medication you take unless you're nursing. You didn't mention whether or not you're nursing.

Check with your doctor if you're in doubt.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 6:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If baby is producing the proper amount of wet/dirty diapers then let the sleeping baby lie! and he hasnt lost weight yet so enjoy the quiet time and relax right along with him!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes i am nursing and he is having 6 wet diapers everyday.
    happy-go-lucky

Comment by happy-go-lucky (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• as long as your doctor is not concerned then dont be...call your doc and tell him or her your concerns...they can tell you if waking up is necessary or not....but im with the others on this....as long as he is having regular urine and bowel movements, and hasnt lost weight then let him sleep...not only that but how much is he eating....if he is taking in more he might not be as hungry as often becaues of that.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• he seems to be eating alot... but since i am nursing i can't say how much.
    happy-go-lucky

Comment by happy-go-lucky (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Is he sleeping 6 to 7 hours straight during the day or during the night? If it's night time, then I would say it's fine. If it's day time, I would say you need to wake him up. For a few reasons, first, he might still be confused about the difference between night and day. Also, sleeping that much during the day (at least in my experience) means not sleeping good at night!

If the medication you are taking is making your baby that sleepy, I would be concerned and speak to the doctor. And in the meantime, wake him every 3 hours to eat. You can try a wet washcloth, changing him and undressing him to try and wake him up.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If he isn't losing weight and eating a lot during feedings I wouldn't be concerned. As long as he has good soiled diapers and regular poops you should be OK. If he isn't peeing or pooping enough, he needs to eat more. I'm sure he is fine... : )
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 10:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010