is it ok to wear a underwire bra for a few hours? i am breastfeeding

my husband and i are going out to dinner for my birthday and i want to get dressed up. to wear my nice clothes and look ok i need to wear a underwire bra. i know wearing a underwire bra can cause problems, but would i be ok for a few hours?

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 6:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have worn an underwire bra while nursing every one of my three kids. I nursed the first to 1 1/2 years, the second to 1 3/4 years and my third I am nursing now! I'm sure you will be fine! Have fun!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had a couple of underwire nursing bras and honestly, they were more comfortable on my newly enlarged breasts than any of the ones that had no underwire. Despite buying properly fitted bras, they didn't support well enough.

I think the issue with underwire bras is if they're poorly fitted you can get pressure points and that can lead to problems. But I doubt you'd have any trouble at all wearing them for a few hours.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 6:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• sure .. i wore wire bras almost the whole time i was breastfeeding.. Im so finicky about my boobs. they are heavy & I hate when they hang! and the only things that can hold these pups up is wire (poor wires!)...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• All of my bras are underwire, and my boobs have been in constant use for over 6 years now. The secret is to have a great fit. Also, underwire probably isn't a good idea if your babe is still pretty young and you get engorged easily.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i had to most of the time. my boob were so huge and heavy that one without seriously would do NOTHING... gravity man... so yeah i would say that i wore one for months and never knew it could cause issues and i never had issues bf-ing then wearing one for an evening would be harmless.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Honey, you're fine. I wore underwire bras before children, during children (even nursing) and still do many years after children. The key is getting a proper fit. If it hurts, it's not a good fit. You're not compromising anything.....go for it!
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 6:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My nursing bras have underwires, and I've nursed 5 kids so it can't cause that many problems!

Answer by missanc at 8:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is the only kind I wear and it hasn't had an effect on me and I have been nursing for 14 months
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You should be fine! The problem is when it doesn't fit right and is putting pressure on certain parts resulting in plugged ducts. Many moms wear underwire all the time and have no problems. I never had a problem with them while breastfeeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It shouldn't be a problem at all. I wear one all the time.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 10:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010