My son wants to play the FLUTE!

My 11 year old wants to play the flute in band this year. I KNOW the kids will tease him. He is sensitive to being teased anyway. So the question is do I let him or not.
I know when I was in school I was made to play the clarinet when I wanted to play the sax and I was always resentful about it. So on one hand I want him to play what he wants. But on the other hand I KNOW he will be teased a lot about it.
So the question is do I let him or not?

Just a note I do not care either way. I am not someone who buys into gender roles like that, but I know people will tease him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why is everyone so concerned with their child's sexuality? How is it gayer to play one instrument over another. Let the kid play the instrument that interests him!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• is one instrument gayer than the other or something? i wouldn't care what he was playing, flute sounds fine to me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I dont see a problem with a guy playing the flute! But ive never been one in band and i dont know how that goes! i would say kids would be mean about being in band in general not nec. about the flute part but IDK!! I would let him, but tell him if he wants to play hes gonna stick with it, not quit because of others opinions!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If it were my son.

I would let him. And I would encourage him to be the best flutist he could be.

My son was raised that "gender roles" are all in the eye of the beholder and it's more important to live true to yourself, as opposed to living by what someone else feels your truth should be. So someone "picking" on him about his choices in life, (and he's 18 now so I know this is how he views it) shows their shortcomings, their inadequacies, and their discomforts not his..

My son was picked on for many things growing up, from his turban to his recreational choices (not a sports guy, even though he looks like he is or should be), he learned early how much stock to give those things. And how much opinions like that are really worth in the big picture.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If he wants to play the flute, let him.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Hmmm,We never had boy flute players in school.He WILL be teased,I'll bet on it.
    How about baritone or trumpet?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• whats wrong with the flute? if they do try to tease him, tell him to say i'll wave when i'n on tv in the macy's parade!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• when i was in band there was nothing but guys playing the flute i played the clarinet along with 7 guys i also played the sax in jazz band. there was more guys in our band then there was girls it should be fine if he wants to play it.
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you should be proud that he wants to play a instrument! if kids want to tease him, they will regardless. I used to know guy flute players in school. I personally don't remember them being teased. The bands and orchestras in our school were so prestigious that many kids felt weird about NOT being in it.

I say let him do as he wants, the most famous flute player in my community orchestra was a man!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Hey! How about Herbie Hancock? James Galway...Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) and many more. WHat the heck? WHo says there is a problem with boys playing a FLUTE??? Do you know lots of backwards,old-fashioned people who are afraid of boys looking "effiminate"???? Just let him play the damn flute!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010