Does it make me a horrible parent?

That I hardly ever (very seldom) take the time to read to my kids unless its for school work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No it doesn't make you horrible, but you should read to your kids everyday. Studies show that kids who's parents read to them are better readers and better students over all. Why would you not do the best possible for your kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i dont think it means your a horrible parent at lease you spend time for your kids i was baby siting for this lady that put guys and work be for her kids and when she came home they were already in bed they saw more of me then their own mother for oh most a year
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, it doesn't. It would be nice of you to read to them often more often, though. If you're worried about it, change it. Just try reading a story or two a night.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No it doesn't make you horrible, but you should read to your kids everyday. Studies show that kids who's parents read to them are better readers and better students over all. Why would you not do the best possible for your kids?"

I'm not trying to be rude, but do you do every single thing in the best possible way for your children? Are you perfect? If not, don't act like she's not trying to do what's good for her children. Some people don't have the time to do certain things every single day. I wasn't read to every single day as a child, and in the 2nd grade I was at a college reading level.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't like reading to my kids. The whole process gives me a migraine. It isn't fun at all. They fight over everything (what book, who sits where, etc). And then when I am reading they just get bored and start staring off into space. They sure aren't listening to the story or looking at the book. Every few sentences I have to stop and ask them if they are listening and then I have to go back and reread so they understand what is going on.
    Most of the time when I'm done they have no clue what the story was about because they didn't pay any attention. Not to mention most of the stories I find boring myself so the whole time I'm fidgeting and just wishing we were done already because I'm bored. So, I just don't do that often.
    So I don't think you are horrible. Not all kids like being read to.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no it does just spending time talking to kids and interacting is fine
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 6:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Its a habit to cultivate, like all the other parts of parenting. I have 4 kids, and the earlier ones that we had more time and energy to devote to reading did tend to catch on faster than my last one. He is also ADHD, and did not care for reading anyway.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 6:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Horrible, no. Definitely not a horrible parent.
    There ARE so many benefits to reading with your child, though. Maybe you could try to do that more?
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 7:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I probably read 1-2 books a month to my kids. They don't like being read to most of the time so I just let it slide. Mine are 6 and 7.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't think it's horrible. But it has been proven many times that reading to them instills so many good things. I didn't for a while, I kept thinking I should but just didn't have the energy to do it after school and work and I am in school and EC activities...but now I read to each of them most nights. I decided that it is their one chance every day to get one on one time with me, I read to my 7 yo first, a chapter, then my 8 yo gets a chapter. Unless it's after 8pm, then I won't....I also take it away sometimes if they are having a really rough night...I suppose that could make me a horrible parent too ;)
    It really is great for them if you can do it, but every family is different.
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010