If you are a SAHM, where do you get money to buy your husband gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc.?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 6:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I cared for the household and he brought in the money, so the money belonged to both. I also asked that a small amount was direct deposited into an account in my name only, and I used this to buy him a special present after 7 years of saving all money gifts that I received.

Answer by Bmat at 7:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We have a shared account so it's not "His" money it's "Our" money.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We have a shared account so whatever money goes in is not just his its ours. When I worked while he was at home it was the same way. If I need some thing we budget it in. As far as gifts we usually set a certain amount aside for it.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I use our money. Just because I'm not employed doesn't mean that the money that his job pays him isn't my money too. If you think about the amount of money that is saved on daycare alone, I think that I can use some of our money to buy him gifts a few times a year.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• For birthdays and most holidays, I just get the money from our joint bank account, after discussing with him what the dollar limit should be. But for Christmas, we have a Christmas fund with a set amount for each child and a set amount for each of us to spend on the other.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• any money WE have is OUR money and i can use to get stuff for him if i want, but we usually don't buy gifts for each other. He prefers to pick out his own gifts anyways :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• everything is joint between us
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 6:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We share money, so it's no big deal. We share a debit account, but usually I'll just ask for cash , then buy his presents so he doesn't see anything on the statements. He doesn't know what I spend it on anyways,lol. Plus, we both feel as if I earn some of that money by working at home and taking care of my son. It's a choice for me to stay home, and he's glad that my son is being raised solely by me during the day, and he's appreciative. If not, I have a trust fund I could use as well, but I usually don't bother with that for Christmas presents and such unless it's a really large item.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• taking care of OUR son* :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• shared money but i use to clean friends house and do little jobs to try and earn money if i didnt want hin=m to know how much i spent!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 6:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010