Multiple M/C's this past year....want to try again ... haven't done fert testing yet...

I have recently suffered through (3) m/c's this last year. ( 2 carried over a month/month and half... one a chemical pregnancy) I haven't gone for any extensive medical testing.. or what my friends are telling me "Basic Blood Testing" etc... for hormones etc.. #1- I just moved and #2- the thought of "Private Fertility Testing" scares me--$$ price tag wise $$ Has anyone had several m/c's and might be able to give me some insight as to what they might do, if they think that my m/c's just "happened" and things could turn out fine on their own etc..... I just want to keep trying... to see if something turns out ok... but I feel horribly guilty trying... if I m/c again... and then find out all I needed was a simple Progesterone suppository or pill... I'd feel like I've "killed" my babies in a way (if you know what I mean... could have been preventative)

Jenniferp006

Asked by Jenniferp006 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• A lot of physicians will wait until a woman has had three miscarriages before being interested in doing a fertility work-up. But, it also depends on age and any known medical conditions.

As for the work-up, it was mostly blood testing for me and my husband. Basic hormone levels, genetic markers, things like that. With my last m/c, they also had some information from the U/S about a fibroid I have.

But without doing a work-up, there is no telling if treatments could help you or not. My advice would be to find an OB/GYN who believes in using progesterone, especially in cases of multiple miscarriages. There are differing opinions as to whether or not it's helpful, but I think it's generally considered not to be harmful to take use it anyway.

.
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You might also ask your current Ob/Gyn if he/she can do any basic testing to get you started. If nothing else, maybe you can get advice about your m/c and your wanting to try to conceive again.
    ClownPleco

• Thanks ClownPleco... I'm looking into getting a new OBGYN down here in FL where I just moved to. I think being able to talk w/ a doctor will help me... 'cause the more I read online... well, you know how that goes... my god I wonder how our heads don't overfill! Thanks!
    Jenniferp006

Answer by Jenniferp006 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2008