to give or not to give VIT K INJECTION?

every other article says its good or its bad to give the injection. I dont have a midwife, just a doula since I got into this late into the game lol....what have you been told either way?

babyduesoon

Asked by babyduesoon at 6:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I haven't decided yet, but my midwife told us that there is no proven positive or negative effect from the shot.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Both of my kids got it. The risk of a child who gets the vitamin K shot having Leukemia is only 1.8% more than those children that did not receive the shot (according to a study done in the UK). Also, vitamin K deficiency doesn't always present with symptoms and can be fatal. Lesser symptoms include serious and/or permanent brain damage. So, both of my children got it and any future children I have will get it.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 6:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my midwife told us that it was only needed if you have a baby boy and are getting him circumsized. We decided not to have it given to our daughter
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010