Has anyone else had a 2 year old stay with them in the hospital when you have your new baby?

I have not been separted from my 2 year old but maybe a few hours since she was born and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I know she would be fine at either my mom's or my husbands mothers house but I want here with me and I don't know how it would work I am having a c-section??

melamom08

Asked by melamom08 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Where I work they do not allow small children to spend the night unless they have another caretaker with them. Would someone be there with her and you at the hospital? If not, then, there is no way you can come out of a C Section and take care of your 2 yr old. Your body, nor doctor is going to let you do that. Maybe you could give it a "trial run" before you have the baby. Let her go and stay for a short time at your moms or MIL house and see how she does. I wish you the very best!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm facing that dilemma too. My baby will be 23 months old before I have my c-sect. I have never been away from her overnight before. I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'm just a little nervous. I'm going to have her visit me everyday when I'm in the hospital.
    OliviaOma

Answer by OliviaOma at 11:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My best friend had her 2 year old there, and her husband. They slept on the pull-out together. As the first poster said, I would assume this is pretty common practice. There has to be another adult there to care for the child. You will need your rest and won't be able to care for your 2 yr old.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would Not reccommend it... esp. if your having a c-section. Your child must learn that even if you two are seperated, you will be back. A few days is not going to hurt her, it will help her even if it doesn't show. She in come in for visits but enjoy the alone time with the new one b/c you won't have it for long. Spend some alone time, bonding time with you, your hubby and your new one. Your daughter will be just fine at grammy's. :)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was in the same boat but I figured it would be better for my daughter not to be there it is not as bad as you think. I did miss tucking her in at night and cuddling. But your daughter would be better off having a fun sleep over at grammies.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't think they will let the child stay the night. Better to make plans on who will take her overnight :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would go ahead and try a sleep over at on of the grandmothers houses and then when the big day comes let her see you before you go to thehospital and then come after the baby is born, but not stay with you. I went through the same thing and I think I was much better off not having baby #1 there when I was recoveringand bonding with baby#2. And #1 loved the attention she got from grandma and she got to spend plenty of time with us in the hospital. Oh and daddy made sure to take her out for a special lunch just the 2 of them and then went and let her pick out a toy for the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2008