I like to make quilts....

But how do I handle people who have been asking for quilts and not offering to buy one? I mean they are family members, but it's going to be, I estimate, over 700.00 to fullfil their requests.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 6:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would let them know that there are materials, etc that come at a cost to make a quilt, and let them know how much. Any reasonable person would understand this and either offer to pay for it or decide that they don't want it if it's too expensive.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 6:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I like to make them too. I only give mine out as gifts though. For baby showers or something like that. Never thought about getting paid to make one. I'm the last in my family line that makes them. My Great Aunt taught me. Which is my children's great great aunt. Before her it was my late Granny Ruth. Now just me.
    I say give them as a gift or tell them that they need to buy the materials to make one.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would tell them that you are only working on commission. I am a potter and KNOW just what you are going through. People are always asking me to make them _____. And expecting me to make it before any other work I need to do.
    You just have to grow a backbone and tell them. I have a family that I need to support, so when you would like to set up a consultation and have half up front, then I will gladly discuss it with you.
    Your time and resources ARE valuable. Make sure you assert that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• tell them to supply the fabric and other materials and you can do the labor
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010