Anyone here thinking of stopping at one child?? There's such a stigma about only children growing up lonley, weird, etc.... what do u think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• I was an only child. Not by choose my mom's tubes were blocked and she could have kids so the word mirical is true. If you teach your kid that they only get toys when they are good and not just because they are an only child you wouldn't have a spoild rotten brat. I wasn't lonely had lots of friends. Weird i don't know. Ask my dh hahaha. I think its up the the parents and don't let the pressure of an only child pressure you into another. Its your choose.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 11:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm thinking at stopping at one child, because with my son its like if I have 20 of them lol, he's terrible! everybody tells me to now try for the girl since i already have the boy but I don't think so, at the moment. He has alot of pets to play with anyways:)
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 11:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't see anything wrong with only have one. One of my best friends in high school was an only child and she wasn't weird or lonely and she knew how to share. The only thing that I think of is now that my parents are older, I am glad that I have siblings and that I am not the only one that has to deal with everything myself. Yes, I am married and I know my husband would be a great help if I had been an only child but it is nice to have siblings to help make decisions and arrangements with and such. I wouldn't want the burden all to myself.
    Anonymous

• To each their own. But I will say, I basically grew up as an only child. My brother was born when i was 13. I hated being the only person without siblings. I was jealous. I wanted someone i could always play with and talk to, even though i did have lots of friends. I would always make up things about my 'brother said this' or 'my sister did that' just so i could feel like i fit in. But thats my opinion and it doesnt work for everybody.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 12:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was an only child until the age of 14... and I wasn't lonely or weird. I learned how to make friends easily. If you only want one child, that is your choice... don't let anyone pressure you into bringing another child into this world just to be a companion for your first child.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have a one and only.
    As your other answers say, it works for some kids, not for others. The same is true of having siblings. Some kids do well, some don't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I am only having one and then having a total hysterectomy for health reasons and I really don't want to go through pregnancy again. I do have a step son that we get about 40 percent of the time but we will socialize our baby at the YMCA and daycare. Also our baby will have 15 cousins around the same age so I doubt the child will be lonely.

I grew up in a really large family and love the fact that I have so many people supporting me I do want that for my child so I will make sure that it has a strong support group.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• The truth is when you have siblings you don't like them lol...My sister wanted a little sister and she got one...We have never been close that much even as kids...I don't think it makes you weird and lonely...That's what friends sports, activities and all those things are for.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008