is this true a friend told me to do this to keep my DD from getting lice

she will be starting kindergarden next month and my worst fear is her catching lice and bringing it home since that stuff is so hard to get ride of she told me to treat her hair like the day before school starts the to treat her again half way through the school year and it will help with her not getting it. Is that true?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• No she is not right. You should definitely not use this stuff unless you absolutely have to. All that stuff does is kill live lice in a person's hair, and thats it. It doesnt prevent lice at all. Its not good for the hair.

The best thing I can tell you to do to prevent lice is to 1. keep your dd's hair up in ponytails or braids. 2. Talk to her about not sharing hats or scarves or jackets or anything. 3.Also you may want to use TEA TREE OIL shampoo. Lice hate it, and usually will not infest a head that has that stuff in it. By using this method my dd hasnt gotten it once, and she is going to grade 3 in September.

Good luck, mama.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The treatment doesn't prevent, it just kills stuff off. I put tea tree oil in inexpensive shampoo when I get notices about lice at school, my kids have never gotten them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Good God no... that stuff is toxic... ewww.

If you are that freaked out go buy something like Paul Mitchell's Teatree Oil shampoo... or simply buy teatree oil and put it in your cream rinse.

We got it when my oldest was in middle school... yes she made it all the way to 7th grade and got it when she was flirting with some boy putting on his ball cap. It was a P.I.T. A. but not gross and not that big a deal. Though if you are a working parent you may have to use up some of your vacation days to get rid of it quickly.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• um treat with what? I am using lice preventative (made with tea tree oil) also with a leave in tea tree oil conditioner spray. you use the shampoo once a week and the spray in can be used daily.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never ever heard of that. I know they dont like the smell of lavender, used to lavender oil in my shampoo. They also dont like teatree oil.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 7:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• she says you treat with the lice shampoo. Where do you get the tea tree shampoo?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can buy tea tree shampoo at a Vitamin Shoppe or at drug stores like CVS/Rite Aid they sell liquid tea tree oil and then you mix it with your regular shampoo.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I got mine online last time (www.puritanspride.com) but I just noticed yesterday that Target carries it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ive never heard of that, ive always used suave. tropical coconut and ive never got lice. i leard in beauty school that if she does get it you can use flea and tick shampoo for dogs and it kills them ive used this once and it worked as bad as it sounds it works.
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Nope! That stuff is toxic and it's made to kill things. If there isn't anything there to start off with. There is no use to do that.It fries your hair and makes it crispy. There are other things that you can use to kill lice if you child gets them. Like covering her heid in mayo,putting a shower cap on her, and letting it set for a while. Even vasilene kills lice if you treat them like the mayo way.
    I've never heard of someone doing that before in that way.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010