How can low income parent get time out with each other?

I have three kids on the autism spectrum- they are too old & too functional to get a babysitter (even if I could afford one!) but it is not safe to leave them unsupervised with each other. Every time we try it, a window gets broken, or a kid locked out of the house or something. My husband & I take turns getting a break, but it's been forever since we could go out with each other. BTW, family is not available, and we live ten miles out of town.

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 7:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I haven't figured out how non-low income parents do it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• do you have friends? do they have friends they could spend the night with?
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Maybe everybody can go to the beach. You two can hold hands and watch your children play in the sand. Go to the park and watch them play?Other then that maybe save up for two sitters. Just a small amount each pay check and in a while you'll have enough for two sitters. Then you two can go out for ice cream or something small for an hour or so.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We DID do a date night thing when my kids were all younger [I have seven kids, four grown & out now] The family we traded with had six kids, so whoever had the kids that night had 13 kids under ten!!!). Unfortunately, two of the ones left at home are teen boys, with a ten year old girl, so "babysitting" is just not an option. I try to take advantage of when they go to friends, but it almost always is only one of the three at a time. Kids on the autism spectrum don't typically have many/any personal friends.
    mamahobbit

Comment by mamahobbit (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I guess I do not understand why babysitting is not an option? Regardless of their age, they in fact need to be watched, right?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• What does being low income have to do with it? NOTHING. There are plenty of people across the board who can't get time out together, it's called parenthood. As for what you can do, contact social services and ask about respite care. There are many programs that offer caregivers so parents can go out. My friends daughter is 15 yrs old and she gets respite care because she cannot be left home alone, for any amount of time. Many resources, you just have to reach out and find them and ask for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The Depatment Of Human services should be able to help you and your husband with respit care. If not then ask them who could. Maybe a local church would want to help?
    Joy118

Answer by Joy118 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Jessica157- my kids are VERY high functioning (savants) so most people are unaware that they have a disability- social services refuse to help us becaus ethey are so academically gifted. I live in a kind of isolated area, and the only sitters available are teen girls- doesn't work weith teen & young adult males that need supervision!
    mamahobbit

Comment by mamahobbit (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010