gotta a question

why is it that when mexicans come here, we have to add print so they can read it. but when they open stores and food places, they don't have to make it so we can read it? there is like thirteen mexican places around my house, i can only tell what one store is cuz it has a picture of a woman doing hair. i was told one store dealt with tires another was a tax service and a nother a cell phone place. why can't they have the same rules as we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To me it is plain rude. Everything 'American' has to be translated so non English speaking people can use /buy/or just understand what they are asking for. I have to listen to a message telling me to 'press one for' in order to make a phone call to an American business (and they get told about it every single time).

If there is a safety factor involved for American business or government, the same should apply if the business is on American soil. If I go to a foreign country I expect to not be able to read the menu (although many DO have English on them), but not in my own country. That offends ~ and smacks of racism for profit.

I've already learned three languages. I didn't want to learn Spanish when I was in grade school, and I don't want to learn it now ~ and I haven't moved to a foreign country where I would expect to learn theirs.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Rules??? I didn't know there were rules. Geeee. Try learning a few Spanish words,too. And someday they will know some English words. It takes time, patience,and cooperation. It won't help to have a bad attitude.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Everything 'American' has to be translated so non English speaking people can use /buy/or just understand what they are asking for.

has to be? per whom?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• autodidact ~ has to be? per whom? Dunno, but it's on everything. Cereal, soap, food, cleaning stuff. Don't you ever look at the stuff you buy? I look at it and I don't buy most of it.

Stacymomof ~ I didn't say it was rude to speak other languages.

Figaro ~ I don't have a problem with Spanish speaking people. I have a problem with a business that is set up in a public place, catering to the public, but they can't be bothered to check their map and figure out what country they are in and conduct business accordingly. Not only is that rude, but unprofessional.

If all of America has to accomodate Spanish speaking people, than they should do the same ~ especially if they live here. I'm sorry if that offends you, but rude is rude, and not telling someone they are rude only lets them go on believing it is ok. It isn't.

Or, are Spanish speaking people 'better'?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Never thought about it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't mind at all because it helps me learn Spanish. There are also several Vietnamese shops that I can't read the signs, 4 Russian businesses, and two Ethiopian restaurants. They are all within a few miles of each other on the same street, and I can't read any of the signs. I think it's kind of cool.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How come they have to be Mexican, couldn't you say latino, do you know for sure they're Mexican?

They are probably trying to advertise to a specific genre ie the latino people. Also what is it that you don't understand the name of the business? or just the services they provide? Also, no one Has to add print, the government does it just so no one can say I don't understand something and become liable that's why many government forms come in multiple languages. But honestly, a business does not have to provide bilingual forms.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• They probably figure English speaking people have their own places,so why would they wander into our stores?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't mind. Besides in Mexico I really don't want to know what I am eating. I love the food, but don't care to know what it is. I made that mistake once.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Businesses are not required to translate their services into other languages. Where did you get that notion? However many do translate to get more customers.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010