How do I get my daughter to quit chewing her tonails? Gross!

She does it in the evenings when she relaxes in the living room. Gentle reminders haven't worked, nor teasing from her older brothers. Any suggestions?

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 7:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• paint her toenails with that nasty tasting stuff made fingernail bitters?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have no clue. When you figure that out share it with me. My son does that and he chews his finger nails (thumb nails). I catch him and tell him to get it out of his mouth. It only works for so long.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ya weird- my niece does this too- she's done it since she was 2-3 yrs old- shes 8 this year and still does it. I think it will be as hard a habit to break as fingernail biting though so GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• have the dentist tell her how much damage she is doing to her teeth
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can clip them yourself,or put hot sauce on them,or bitter flavoring.But she can wash that off,so hmmm.Look up foot fungus info,and pictures and show her whats going into her mouth.
    TootieFruitie

Answer by TootieFruitie at 10:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Our daughter is a nail biter and has been terrible about it--right down the the skin and pulls it down the edges of her nails--it makes her fingers so sore, but she can't seem to quit. She ended up with warts all down the side of her thumb and we've been for three liquid nitrogen treatments so far this summer. Hopefully one more to go. I don't know if she's learned her lesson with this, but she's trying to stop. The bitter polish never worked for us and the doctor didn't have any good advice about it. We also tried incentives--like if she quit we'd reward her with something she wants. That didn't work either. Good luck with this--it is tough.
    mjjn

Answer by mjjn at 9:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• put polish on them.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2010