How much should I charge for original artwork?

I want to advertise custom colored pencil portraits of people's horses at my daughter's stable, in order to make enough for her to participate in horse shows. My work is of professional, frame-able quality, not just quickie sketches. I'm thinking of 8x10 pictures (would take me about 2 hrs. to finish each one). Help me set a price!

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 7:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Look on etsy and see what others are charging!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'd say $50, that pays you about $25/hour
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Boy, that is all dependent on the market where you live - perhaps $150 per portrait?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Around $30? unframed.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow... hard to say... would depend on how good you honestly are and where you live. I could see it being anywhere from $50- hundreds. Of course once you make a name for your self you could charge more.

I would find a local art dealer, or art auctioneer and ask for an appraisal. Bring a photo of the horse you drew so they can see how closely it matches.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would pay around $50 for a quality original color sketch of that size if I realy like it.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Decide how much your time is worth. My pricing formula is: Materials X 2 + (wage per hour X # of hours to complete) = price. However I have not factored in a profit margin, which I'm finding is a pretty big mistake.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010