Help caring for a 12 1/2 month old foster child.

I am helping a family who has taken in a 12 1/2 month old foster child I have a child of my own so I am pretty fresh when it comes to children but trying to remember when my child was 12 1/2 months old is a blur even though she is still young. Please refresh me and give me some ideas and advice on caring for a 12 1/2 month old again. I am open to all advice and ideas and appreciate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they should be walking or at least cruising by that point so good idea is to tell them to start putting up breakables and padding sharp corners of coffee tables and such....baby gates are a must now that they are more mobile...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Relax, take a deep breath and remind yourself "you can do this."

Just make sure the baby is in a safe place especially if the baby is mobile.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son is 12 1/2 months, definately alot of what blueeyedgrl2377 said; walking or cruising/pulling on furniture, probably able to get on or off furniture, picking every little thing off the ground and into their mouths and yes, baby gates are a must, I agree. Also food, I believe they recommend that baby has a max of 32 oz of Whole vitamin D milk and should be having 3 full meals/snacks but you know I am no where near that with my own. Good luck and i hope everything goes smoothly with baby.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• BAby proff, encourage self feeding, read lots, talk to them constantly to develope language. Love and hugs.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Thank you all for your advice I appreciate it like you would not believe. This poor baby is SO behind and has been in a very abusive home. I could never imagine leaving my baby to lay in a crib all day so I could sit in my living room and drink, smoke and party day in and day out with my friends!!!! It will definitely be a start over but at this point I don't care I will help them as much as possible to care for this innocent baby girl.
    Abbysmommy0208

Answer by Abbysmommy0208 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have known two babies that were in a highly abusive house. Drugs and drinking. THEY NEED LOVE AND HUGS. An embrace and some reassurance they are important and loved is a big step in the right direction. You are doing a wonderful thing! You should be able to go to your pediatrician and get a list of foods/actions/ways to help you along the way as far as development goes.
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 9:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010