How do I know if my daughter is ready to be potty trained?

My daughter is almost 21 months old. She doesn't talk so we have to decipher what she is wanting. But tonight I changed her diaper and put her to bed. She came out about 5 mins later and started patting her diaper. I know from changing her she doesn't have a diaper rash. But as she was patting her diaper she was kinda whining. So I am thinking that maybe she went pee and can't communicate it the way we can understand.

takodasmom1117

Asked by takodasmom1117 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talking is a ready sign of potty training so I would wait for that.
    Show interest in potty chair/toilet, Insist on trying, hate being wet/poopy, ask to go potty, tear off diaper, likes to be naked. A lot of "I'm growing up" signs to look for. Wanting to do things indipendantly like get themselves dressed, eat on their own, really like it when they are told "I am so proud of you" "you are getting so big" (Pride) Wanting to help more with chores like folding laundry, cleaning floors, wiping down counters.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i dont think talking matters!! yes it would help ALOT but if she already knows she has to go.... act on it!!! take her to the potty every morning as soon as she getting up! and everytime she grabs her self! make it so she know where the potty is and make it so she can get to it by leaving the bathroom door open or putting one of those baby potties in her room!! if you keep it up she may not talk but she will let you know! she will walk you to the potty! if she is smart enough to feel the urge is she smart enough to learn to use the potty!
    TOPMILF

Answer by TOPMILF at 1:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2008