how to deal with son that has adhd and alot attitude

pammurray

Asked by pammurray at 7:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• First....separate the ADHD from the equation....it isn't relevant at all. Second, set very clear rules/consequences in place and follow them to the letter.

semazani

Answer by semazani at 2:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Have you read books about it? I say check out some books at the library and talk to his Dr.'s about some positive ways to help him and you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 7:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The attiude probably has nothing to do with the ADHD. It's being a preteen. My son has ADD and he does not have an attitude from it. He is 14, so his attitude is developmental. Not that I tolerate it. I have never tolerated a bad attitude and never will. I tend to IGNORE the attitude and tell my son that when he can talk to me properly, then I will respond. If he can't be respectful, then he can sit in his room.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I never had much luck with mine but he loves to death now that he is older. I really think that setting boundaries but giving space to breath is the best for boys this age. They are going through puberty and that is hard for any boy.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010