How do I get my week and a half old to poop?

she only went 1 time yesterday although I have to add it was A LOT but nothing to day... I do not want her to get constapated this early... I don't know what to do... I know she has to go bc she gets so fussy and nothing helps till she finally breaks loose!! please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she breast fed or bottle fed? if breast fed then it's ok not to poop everyday. forumula fed then you may consider switching formulas
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• A little bit of water helps.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well if she bottle fed, she needs to switch formula, but if your breast feeding she'll be ok
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no water in a baby that young!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Breastfed babies don't go poop every day - their bodies absorb so much of the milk that there isn't that much left to make poop, which is really nothing more than the parts of food that we can't use.

If she's getting fussy and she's nursed, then maybe you might want to look at your diet - are you eating a lot of really spicy, a lot of onions or garlic, etc? Sometimes (not always) babies can be sensitive to this.

If your little one is formula fed, then I agree, you might need to switch formula.

if that doesn't help, or you're still worried, before you give her anything different, give her any water, etc, I would talk to your Dr.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• If she is breastfed it is ok
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Formula babies tend to get a bit constipated. Put a bit of petroleum jelly on the tip of a rectal thermometer, and gently insert the tip of the thermometer into the retum. Move it around just a tiny bit. This should help "get things moving". But remember to only insert the TIP..
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• **rectum
    Fallaya

• Babies that little (especially breastfed ones) don't poop that much and it's completely normal! My daughter went 5 days without pooping when she was just a few weeks old. The pediatrician told me it was completely normal and was not concerned. I would not do anything (water or anything else) in a baby that young for just 1 day of not pooping. I would wait it out a few more days, if your baby still hasn't gone, call your doctor and see what they have for advice.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My daughter has only pooped once a day since she was about 3 weeks old and she is formula fed and perfectly happy and healthy. Babies are not considered constipated until there is over 24 hours of no bowel movements.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010