Does anybody know anything about EIF (echogenic intracardiac focus)?

I went to my Dr.appt yesterday for my monthly check up and they discusssed my 20 week ultrasound with my husband and I. They mentioned that in the ultrasound they found a bright spot on my daughters heart .They told me it was a marker that they look for in babies that if there was more any where in the body they would be concerned about a chromosonal defects. But they only found the one on her heart. They said I should not worry,and mentioned that if they were to look at another u.s. in 3-4 weeks that it would most likely be gone. I asked if we were going to have the u.s. and they said that we would not need it! Let me know how to deal with this PLEASE!!

lorij24

Asked by lorij24 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• An EIF in the fetal heart may increase the chance for the baby to have a chromosome problem. It does not affect the development of the baby or the function of the heart. If the baby has normal chromosomes, there would be no associated problems to be concerned about. No special treatment or tests are needed at delivery.

It is important to remember that chances are strongly in your favor of a normal outcome in this pregnancy, but with this additional clue, you are entitled to further counseling and testing options.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echogenic_intracardiac_focus"
    shell.bell

Answer by shell.bell at 3:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• thanks so much we've just been so worried hearing the news on fri and they would not do any further testing they said that the only reason would for the testing is to give you peace of mind and I guess we don't deserve that i'mnot sure if we should request another u.s or not?
    lorij24

Answer by lorij24 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2008