How many mamas feel they have experienced birth trauma? adult content

What about your birth was traumatizing? What made it that way for you? And what are you doing, have you done, to get through the emotions of realizing it was a traumatic thing?

BeanIrene1

Asked by BeanIrene1 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• birth trauma?? um this is my first baby i have a long way to go too... and some things i read make me wass reverse this thing but it doesnt go back!!! not rly but im getting scared
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 7:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• For some reason, my son's doctor listed his birth as a traumatic birth. Not sure, why. I mean, I had a c-section and it took them 10 minutes to get him out when it normally only takes 5. Even with the c-section they had to use the something to pull him out. But I really don't consider it traumatic. I mean, neither one of us was about to die or anything like that.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Not exactly. My birth was awesome and quick. However, looking back, I didn't need to have my water broken or have Pitocin or be forced to lay on my back for 7 hours. LOL

I have researched and learned more. I will have a midwife birth and hopefully have it at home. I will refuse most interventions like PIt and them rupturing my water. I will change positions and stay out of bed as long as possible.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Not at all... The most traumatizing part was that my mother literally invited 15 people to the hospital while I was in labor & I just wanted to call them all (including her) after the baby was born... Hell, half of them I wouldn't even have told at all... Beyond that I've had two wonderful, pain free, trauma free births...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i had a traumatic pregnancy, but all of my births were c-section and fine. with my first pregnancy i had severe pre-eclampsia and almost died.... i wasn't scared to get pregnant again though since the chances of it happening with subsequent pregnancy is slim (plus my ob had me take 1 baby aspirin every day until 32 weeks to decrease that chance even more). so i guess it's been ok besides that

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think of my births as traumatic. My first one was born at 23.5 weeks. Nothing about that birth was normal. He then died 5 mos later. My second one was a very complicated pregnancy. I also had a 7cm blood clot we were trying to prevent moving, I was on blood thinners and wasn't allowed any pain meds. The blood clot almost killed both of us. He was healthy though.... only had jaundice and couldn't keep his temperature up. Completely mild... we could handle that. :)
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes, I consider my Son's Birth Traumatizing. I was in the hospital from 27-37 weeks with a partial abruption and at 37 weeks he was born the placenta completely abrupted and I hemmhoraged. I had doctors and nurses running around the room giving me shots in my legs to try to stop the bleeding and my OB was massaging my uterus internally to get it to contract and clot. It was very scary. I am now pregnant again and I pray that this one goes more smooth.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I did have a mild case of trauma after my all-natural waterbirth. It was something that took me about 2 years to process...
    Trauma isn't always emergency cesareans...
    Having been through that, a polar opposite with my next waterbirth, and also helping others through their labors, I know that trauma is real and unfortunate!!

This is a majestic time. We are meeting our children, the process is natural and should be respected-- as should the Mother. And Baby.

I have some helpful info saved~ let me know if you'd like it.
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• @doulala - Thank you. That was more of what I was getting at. Not just a section, or a doctor deeming it traumatic. I mean from the mom's point of view. Trauma in the way things were handled. Having her birth taken from her, which is where "birth rape" comes from.
    BeanIrene1

Comment by BeanIrene1 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010