How much is too much tv for a 2 year old?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• well my ped. says don't limit tv, just make sure that it is educational shows. we do a good balance of tv and other activities too though. and besides, most of the shows we watch encourage them to be active and dance, etc. so they usually are running around while they're looking at the show anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son watched a lot, but, he had other experiences as well. He also got to watch shows other would not approve of, but, we discussed and learned from everything he watched. He also had a bigger and better vocabulary and imagination than anyone his age. He is also very smart to boot now at 14. So, not sure if I think there is too much unless that is all the kid does. If you can't pry them away or they have no other learning or experiences period, then, that is WAY too much.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• That is a question only YOU can answer. Every family is different and has different opinions of television viewing. In my home, my 2 year old doesn't have a time limit on television viewing. She is active and at a healthy weight, so I'm not concerned about her being a "couch potato".
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree, everyone is different and opinions are different. That's something you need to decide. I have one child who completely ignores the tv and another one who becomes a zombie when the television is on. The zombie one also misbehaves when he's watched too much tv. So.... we limit television in our home. They earn their time by doing chores and good behavior.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010