How does gay marriage BENEFIT society?

In fairness, if you have reason to think gay marriage is a detriment to society, I guess you can list that, too ("it's against my religion" does not qualify, sorry). But I am really interested in how it would be good for society. Thanks!

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it good or bad for society. It's just something that happens, same sex loving each other :)
    thetaxicab

Answer by thetaxicab at 8:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It would be good for society because there would be more people able to partake in the benefits of married couples. They would get tax breaks, etc from the government. When there is more tax breaks there is more spending and the economy goes up.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Same as straight marriage/ Do straight couples who are married benefit society?How?
    They all will pay for a wedding...the Wedding Industry is a big deal. And they will set up a home, buy things together. ETC.
    Maybe you should tell US?
    I know that people deserve to be happy and we shouldn't think "What's in it for us".And "How will this benefit me?"
    It is their lives.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well, for one, it shows that marriage and relationships should be based on LOVE & RESPECT over gender! Which is one step closer to finding equality for all... I say equality is always a benefit!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't know about society, but how great must it feel to be able to marry the love of your life after previous denial to do so. I think it makes the individuals happier and sets a good tone for children/teens to embrace themselves the way they are as well.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well i suppose it would qualify them for more things traditional families qualify for (ie. insurance, more stable family for children, things like that) but i guess that's more for personal benefit and not so much for all of society. but anyway, i think that gay couples should be able to obtain a union equal to a marriage in the eyes of the law. i don't see why not
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My personal thoughts on the benies. All are just my thoughts, none are proven facts.. and I do not share them under the guise as such... lol

1. Equality of citizens, which helps our nation to live up to it's ideals, is always a benefit.
    2. Added tax revenue. Married couples are taxed differently, and married couples do spend more money on long term investments and larger purchaeses because they are are entitled to more benefits in doing so. IE: mortgages, financial investments, life insurance (and other insurance types), land/property..etc.. Which all benefit the nations tax structure (including state and county level) to varying degrees.
    3. Opens up things like: adoption, being foster parents, and the like to gay couples that are not open to them in all states. This benefits society because it opens up more loving homes to children who need them.
    cont.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• 4. The simple show of acceptance ( if not just bare tolerance underneath) will most likely make these couples and their families feel like they are more a part of their communities in a whole. Which could encourage more community involvement on some of their parts. People who do not feel like an accepted much less wanted part of their community, are less likely to pitch in and be an active participant in the betterment and overall social well being of that community. We we feel a part of something, like a part of our neighborhood, city/town, county, state, nation as a whole, we are more liking to be a positive contributer to the society that accepts us as part of it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Stimulates the economy, provides more stable homes for children, saves money wasted on estate proceedings that wouldn't be necessary with a marriage, allows ALL spouses to have a say in their spouse's healthcare and end of life decisions, provides equal treatment for things like maternity/paternity leave, invalidates many of the archaic and prejudicial adoption laws on the books. Oh, it also provides for all citizens to be treated equally instead of creating a second class group of "separate but equal" people for no reason beyond how they are wired.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• How odes gay marriage hurt society? Gays should have the right to be as miserable as straight people. (JOKING, I'm happily married.)

You don't choose who you love, so why do we set rules saying that you can't love someone b/c it's not "right"? Who are we to be the judge? (don't spout the bible at me; that shit belongs in Religion & Beliefs.)
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010