Is this typical for a 7 yo?

I went to check on my 7 yo DD last night, to tuck her in and give her a hug and kiss and she had a stuffed animal in her pants. She was laying on top of it and it was pretty obvious she was rubbing against it. I am guessing it is typical and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable in any way so I just did my regular routine. I asked her about it today and she told me 'Sally' (favorite stuffed animal) was being bad...so I just made a little joke out of it like

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IDK about a 7yo girl - but I know I accidentally walked in on my 7yo boy laid back on the toilet playing with his goodies. Fun times.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Good job Momma! That is totally normal for kids her age. I think you handled it perfectly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Wow, you did an awesome job. I wish all mommas were like you. KUDOS.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I used to catch my kids in the bathtub playing with themselves and just turned and walked away. As long as your daughter is doing this in the privacy of her room there is nothing wrong with it. This is completely normal behavior for her age.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Honestly, I know children play with themselves and everything but laying on top of and rubbing against a stuffed animal because it was "bad" would concern me very much.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• OP here...
    I should have clarified a little more Jadegirl, I can totally see why that would sound horrible....I don't think that was her real reason for doing it. I think when I first brought it up, she thought I was going to say she was doing something wrong, so that was her first excuse she came up with. When I made a joke out of that part, I gave her the look that I wasn't falling for that one and asked why she was really doing it...she got embarrassed and wouldn't really answer, so I just asked flat out "did it feel good? it's ok if it did.." and then went into the privacy part of it when she said it does feel good. I said it was fine to do it as long as she was alone and in her own room.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Glad to be reassured I handled it well!
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think it is typical behavior at that age. I remember being 7....lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think you handled it very well. She's lucky to know at a young age she talk to you and your not going to freak out. Good job and good luck.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It is normal for kids to explore, I would just try to make her feel comfortable as possible, and to talk to her about it in a way she will understand. I would question why she said sally was being bad....
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think its pretty normal!
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010