Is this rude?

My ex-husband's great grandma gave us her cake topper for our first christmas together. It's porcelain and very beautiful. Now his cousin's want it for their wedding cake. I really don't care since we are not together anymore but isn't it rude to ask for it since it was given to us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Yeah, Probably is rude. But she just wants it because it her grandma's...but be sure to tell it could possibly carry bad luck in her marriage ;)
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, I don't think it is rude to ask to use a family heirloom. If I could have I would have loved to use my Grandmother's cake topper, I thik your ex-cousin just feels the same way. Props to her for simply asking rather than complaining behind your back. And props to you that you have a healthy enough relationship with your ex's family that she could ask.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You must care though because you feel their behavior is rude. I do agree with you though. They have a lot of nerve to bother you with that when you're not even together anymore.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well hun technically it's his family's heirloom so i wouldn't have a problem giving it to them. idk why you would want it anymore anyway since you're divorced lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i agree with others its from his side of the family, your not together, just give it up...seems odd that you want to kep it anyways
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 8:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It doesn't sound rude. It seems like a natural request. You'll be getting it back? Or will you have it stay in her family? It is an heirloom of your ex's family.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The only reason I could see you keeping it is IF you and your ex-husband have children together... you could pass it on to them. But if that is not something you have or desire. Then give it to the cousin.... it IS part of their family, not yours.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No, it's a family possession not yours. Just like baptismal gowns. I say pass it on, especially if you are not with him anymore and it belongs to his family.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It sounds like the cousin would like to borrow it. If you are not comfortable with it, then simply say no. I don't think the cousin is/was being rude by asking.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with Princessbeth79. It is a family heirloom on your ex husband's side.. Why not just give it to them?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010