Am I the only one that has an 8 month old baby that hits?

My little girl has quite the feisty side...she has recently started pinching and swatting at myself and others for no reason. Not sure what to do or if I am the only mom experiencing this. Help!

Lauren30

Asked by Lauren30 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thinks it's pretty age appropriate.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• no, it's normal. just a phase. finding out what she can do with those chubby little hands! she's not doing it to be mean or hurt
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my god son was doing this and what his mom would do is every time he hit her she would hit him back not to were it hurt but more like a tap and he stop hitting people 3 days latter
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Haha, no you are far from alone. My DS did at that age and still occasionally does at almost two. Just keep in mind, it can be really frustrating to be a baby. Unable to make your needs clearly known, plus they are going thropugh rapid changes and evolutions (growing, brain development) that can be overwhelming. Given their maturity level it easy for them to let themselves be overrun by their emotions. Be compassionate but consistent about this being unacceptable behavior and your LO will find another way to cope. GL Momma.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think most moms have had this problem, including me. LOL I would say, "OWWWW! That hurts mommy! and made sure I made a sad face to communicate to my baby that this was inappropriate behavior. You can also say no in a firm manner. This too will pass : )
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• She is just experimenting and testing everything in her world. Totally normal! Just calmly say "no hitting" and change things so that she can't hit you (holding her hands, putting her down etc.) Then redirect her to do something else.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh yea mine started that too. Started at around 8mths too! Shes now 10mths going on 11 & screams at you or even tries to pinch or hit you & she knows what shes doing!!
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Thank you soooo much for all of the comments and advice!!!! I really felt like I was the only one going through this and now I don't Yippeee! Hopefully this stage will be over soon. :)
    Lauren30

Comment by Lauren30 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's pretty normal. They don't know what they are doing, they just know that they are able to hit objects with their hands lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You not the only one, my 8 (almost 9) month old it's sometimes... not that much any more but from time to time she has been known to slap someone in the face or try to take their eyes out.
    Izzabellasmama

Answer by Izzabellasmama at 12:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010