Crazy Diaper Rash

My son is 11 months old and has been prone to diaper rash all of his life. it usually clears up in 1-2 days with the help of desitin. 2 days ago he began to develop a rash and it has gotten progressively worse. It has migrated all over his genitals and is not improving even with diaper-free times, diaper rash cream use, and warm baths.
He has been pooping a lot lately and has had a bit of a cold and flu-like symptoms (he threw up 'real' puke for hte first time a few days ago). I have called the doctor a few times and they always say that it sounds like he has a viral infection but to 'keep watching' it because it could become bacterial?
Would I be out of line to call the doctor again tomorrow (sunday) and try to get him in or should I wait until Monday to try to get him into regular clinic hours?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if you're really concerned, then go ahead and call the doctor. First, try a home remedy that has saved my daughter from her diaper rash (Gets them constantly). Use regular flour and brown it in a frying pan. Put it in there dry and constantly move it around until it gets good and brown. It stinks, but after you let it cool for a while, cake him in desitine and put that flour on him like thick baby powder. It works wonders. My grandmother said thats what she used to do for me when i was a baby. Make sure you change him frequently though and use it every time. Also when you put him in a warm bath, put cornstarch in the water and stir it up good(it will sink to the bottom) That helps too. No acidy juices or foods either. Will make it worse. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Hi:

I would call the Dr. again if you are worried. That is what the pediatrician is there for. When my older son had a bad stomach virus for nearly TWO WEEKS I called every other day for help. A good pediatrician is understanding and patient and maybe they can give you some advice to get through Sunday until your son can be seen on Monday in the office.

Good luck.

Michelle
    delia100

Answer by delia100 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I say with the money you are pouring into insurance you should call the doctor 10x a day if it makes you feel better. That is what they are there for and that is what they get paid $$$the big ones$$$ to deal with. There is nothing more important than the well-being of your child.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It could be the diaper rash has yeast in it... you might try buying some OTC yeast cream for women and putting that on. Doctors can give a prescription for yeast killing diaper rash cream as well. I'm sorry your baby is in pain, my kids are rash prone too. I hate it. My usual treatment method is Pinxav (its an amazing Mom and pop company based out of Ohio.. they have a website, I think you can request a free sample) Its thick, and clears up even rashes with open sores in 24 hours usually. Love it. For immediate relief on his skin -- a luke warm bath in Baking Soda is cheap and very soothing. (it works on sun burns too!)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Oh! And though its not always easy ---- when in doubt AIR IT OUT. Some of the best ways to clear a rash include just letting them run naked a bit. Baby gate up and stay somewhere with tile floors... or let him run naked in the backyard.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Maybe try A & D ointment. Desitin doesn't work for my daughter. Also, maybe blow dry his little hiney on cool. OR make sure it's not a yeast infection. But like the other posters said, call your doc . . . that's what they make all that money for!!! I know it hurts to see your baby's little hiney all red and sore!! I hope it clears up!! Take Care!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Ok, this is gonna sound totally crazy, but it works. My son used to get diaper rash ALL the time, no matter what I did. His doctor said to go buy olive oil and put that on his bottom AND THEN put diaper rash cream on top of that. No joke, in a matter of HOURS it had cleared up. It sounds insane, but it really does work.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008