Is it still proper etiquette to wear black to a funeral?

I need an outfit for my mother's funeral and was wondering if I still need to wear black as a sign of respect or is that old hat now? If not black, then what other colors should I wear? By the way, it's going to be 100+ degrees and very humid at the burial. I'm not sure, but I think my siblings are going to wear black, if that changes anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Im so sorry about your mom. I guess wear whatever you will be comfortable in.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i have worn black and I have worn hot pink... I think it depends on how formal the family is and how conservative the out fit is.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Personally I would still wear black. If you aren't going to, then I would suggest dark muted colors. Maybe a dark grey.
    ChaoticAtBest

Answer by ChaoticAtBest at 8:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think most people still wear black, but it can have a print on it (i wore a black and white print dress to my mom's funeral). sometimes people wear grey too.... anything somber is ok i think. sorry to hear about your mom's passing
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• maybe just a dark color. my grandmother got mad at my sister for wearing black to my dads funeral. i thought that was weird.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Condolences on your loss. Black is best but if you don't have that then I agree to go with some dark color.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have always worn black to funerals. But I don't think anyone will look down at ya if you wear another color.
    I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My mother always insisted we wear black. I think any darker color is acceptable.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I try to avoid wearing black just because it's so stereotypical and hopeless. But I don't wear loud colors or flowers, either. I usually wear dark or muted colors. Something that won't attract attention and won't say, "I'm a poster-child for a funeral."
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I think most people typically still wear black but I think that any darker color is fine. Navy, grey, brown, something that is not bright and colorful.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2010