red ear sliders

we got two little RES at the beach not knowing all the things you had to have to keep them living they are in a 5 gallon tank right now yes i know they need a bigger tank....on craigslist i found an add that had a 55 gal tank with ALL the things you need PLUS tons more but it also came with a turtle so we got it (it was FREE) would i be able to put the little turtles like 2 1/2 inches in the same tank as the bigger one the person we got it from said they put the goldfish thats in it like 8 months ago and the turtle never touched it now the fish is as big as the turtle lol so do you think the turtles would all be safe together

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• IDK. The bigger turtles might try to eat the little one. I would ask a pet store manager or someone there who knows their reptiles.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have had my RES for many years (ten to be exact) and she is very territorial. Females are...I also had two other ones, and my one female killed my male (he was younger and a lot smaller) To be safe, I would NOT put the babies in with the bigger one. It may kill them. Especially if it is not used to being with other turtles.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My kids also have RES, and i think the smaller turtles would be okay with the bigger one as long as they have plenty of space. We only have one right now, it's about three inches across and he eats gold fish all the time, so I would be weary of putting fish in there that you aren't intending as food....good luck!
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ask a pet store. Personally I would not take animals from the beach to bring to my home. They are established in their home and everything they needed was already there.
    Good luck :)
    ChaoticAtBest

Answer by ChaoticAtBest at 8:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Another problem with bringing animals from the beach into your home is that you are exposing other animals to diseases and parasites that the wild creatures may have.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We have RES that live together. BUT they started together. What I'd do is put the together and WATCH THEM!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010