What are other causes of constipation in infants besides formula?

My baby is almost 2 weeks old. He started off on milk based formula in the hospital, was switched to soy due to being extra spitty. Then we tried milk based at home. He did ok except became constipated. Dr. said to go back to soy. We did that for the last 2-3 days and he because constipated on the soy. Can anyone help?

delia100

Asked by delia100 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• relactation!! at this age, it can't be anything but the formula. infant bodies aren't meant to consume it, so they often don't tolerate it. you can certainly still breastfeed after just 2 weeks. do it for your hurting baby. i'm here if you need help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree. Maybe you should try to breastfeed if formula isn't working. But if you decide to get a lactation consultant...You can definintly find one in your area....Or they might have a Le Leche league...Breastmilk will make him alot less gassy and he won't spit up hardly as much..rarely. They sleep better and so do you once you get the hang of it because at night you can put him on your breast and let him feed while your laying down. Give it a try but definintly contact a lactation specialist or something if you do because it isn't asy at first.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• OK, obviously BF isn't for her, so people should try to help her w/o attaching an agenda. I, personally can't help b/c I did BF all my kids, but I just wanted to support this mom. Aren't there formula's for sensitive tummies? Nutra-something? I really wish I could help, I hope someone will! Good luck, Mama.
    Anonymous

• Try different brands of formula. They all have the same basic nutrients, but the fillers are different, and that's what their bodies react to differently. My son, for example, would get constipated on Similac and Target brand, would get the runs on Wal-Mart brand, and was fine on Enfamil and GoodStart. So just try different things. Also, babies' pooping changes as their bodies and digestive tracts change and grow. And keep in mind, too, that straining alone isn't a sign of constipation, look instead at the consistency of the poop that's coming out. If it's hard little balls, then he really is constipated; if it's more liquidy or peanut buttery, then he's not constipated despite any awful faces he might be making. Babies are complicated, lol. If all else fails, call the doctor and see what they recommend, maybe an infant suppository or something. Best of luck.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i agree with the above try the good start brand by nestle they have a comfort proteins and it is great that helped my little one dont even try similac it really sucks for lack of a better word or maybe try a formula with little iron most forms are made with added iron and that is all wic will give you but starting oct 1 they give the good start yea me good luck
    mommynbabygirl

Answer by mommynbabygirl at 6:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2008