Anyone use those alcohol test strips for breastmilk??

I bought some of those alcohol test strips for my breastmilk. I'm not trying to drink heavy or anything, but I do like to have a beer or martini here and there. I've only drank a couple of times since he was born and only have one drink because i'm scared to drink more than that while breasfeeding. My question is, if anyone is using the strips, how many drinks do you have till it affects your milk?? I know I can have 1 beer and my milk is fine.

Tori8426

Asked by Tori8426 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally wouldn't trust my milk to some little strip sold in the store. Easiest thing is to just not drink, but if you feel the need to imbibe, just do the "pump and dump" -- after you're home and done drinking, at the next nursing session feed baby some stored breastmilk and pump instead (pour it down the drain, of course).
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I never bought those test strips. I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 10 months now and yes on occasion I have indulged in alcohol. Less than 2% of alcohol actually passes through to your milk. No, that's not a license to go out and binge drink but you also can have a drink once in a while without feeling guilty.

My lactation told me that if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed (generally 1-2 drinks). Anything more than that, you need to wait 2 hours per drink before nursing. If you have a night out planned, save up some breastmilk in the freezer to give your baby until you are OK to feed them. That's the rule of thumb I've always used and it's worked for me. Do what you feel comfortable with but I would save my money and not buy the strips ;-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There is no reason to pump and dump. Plain and simple when the alcohol is out of your blood stream it is out of your milk. Drink a beer right after nursing and you should be good within 2-3 hours. I didn't drink at all until mine were about 9 months old and then I would only have 2 drinks at a time right after they went down for the night and I was pretty sure they would be alseep for about 5-6 hours.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I've read that there really isn't a reason to pump and dump. Alcohol supposedly leaves breastmilk the same way it does your bood. I've been told to pump or nurse right before drinking, have no more than two drinks (because alcohol can effect your supply) and by the time you are ready to nurse again it shouldn't be in your system.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• NO.....
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I didn't want to waste the money for those strips. 1-2 drinks at a time is generally safe. The rule of thumb is sober enough to drive sober enough to nurse HOWEVER, that does not mean when you think you are sober that means if you can pass a breath test. When drinking more than 2 drinks allow 2 hours per drink before nursing. You may want to pump and dump if to much time has passed to keep your supply up BUT there is no need pump and dump. (unless it is to keep your supply up) I do believe that if you are just going to miss one feeding that it wont affect your supply (as long as it is a rare occasion you miss feedings) therefore I do not pump and dump.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 11:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• No need to pump and dump check out the LLL web site and

http://www.kellymom.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010