Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would you take your child's birth mother/father to court for child support?

We are talking about on doing it or not. She isn't working, we already and have been taken care of every thing. It seems it would be a waste of time. What are your thoughts?

Answer Question

Asked by justme581 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 12 (707 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • if you have legal custody you should

    Answer by jennifer588 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • It might cost you more in court costs than what you will be getting back. If it is to prove a point, a strong letter just from an attorney could be effective.

    Answer by ckap4707 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • well, if she has nothing, you will get nothing. thats just a fact. a judge can order something, but you have to live with knowing that for that little amt, in the long run it may prevent her from being financially capable of any parenting contribution at all.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • Absolutely you have the right to get help with that child you didn't make it alone why take care of it alone. I had to raise two sons without child support due to their fathers had both died and it is not automatic to get survuvor benefits from social security the parent has to work enough hours and neither of my boys dad did so I was on my own. Do not let your child go without due to a absent parent.

    Answer by dynameteduck at 9:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • You mean an adopted child? No! Do you mean a step child? If you need the money then definitely try.

    Answer by ziff130 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • Step child...We haven't asked for child support and the most we would get right now would be 50 a month. We looked it up to see.

    Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • I would take her to court regardless of whether or not you are handling everything. The point of childsupport is for your child. The child deserves support from both parents, regardless of how much one parient is able to provide.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

  • I JUST went through this... In FL you actually HAVE to file if the parents of the child are not married. If the noncostodial parent if fully capible of working they will put them down for making minimum wage reguardless. My sons father isnt working but still HAS to pay $265 a month. If they are orderd to pay and fail to do so they can get their drivers license suspened or even go to jail. I was told " it took two people to make this child, and these two people will support this child" the only way of the other parent getting out of paying is to sign all parental rights over to whom ever has leagle custidy of the child.

    Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • If I thought (s)he had the money and weren't paying just because they didn't want to, yeah I would take them to court. I would definitely try talking to them about it first though.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • $50.00 is better than nothing

    Answer by mamaofficer at 1:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.