I'm curious,when did the breastfeeding your child to 3,4,5,6 and beyond start?

I have a 91 year old Grandmother. I asked her if women of the 20's through the 50's breastfed their children this long and she told me that she'd never experienced any woman breastfeed her child past 18 months.Women had multiple children and did not have the time to be feeding 2 or more kids from the breast. She told me as soon as they cut teeth,she had them on a cup.She had 11 children from 1939 to 1960. There was no formula back then.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you mean in the U.S.? There are still many cultures in which children are routinely breastfed until the age of four or five years or older. In societies where children are allowed to nurse as long as they'd like, they usually self-wean between 3 and 4 years of age.

We're still learning of benefits to breastfeeding and thus, the age to wean a child off of it has been lengthened in the Western World. The World Health Organization has suggested breastfeeding for at least two years, and the American Pediatrics Association suggests a minimum of a year.

Check this out: http://parenting.families.com/blog/breastfeeding-how-long-is-too-long
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Well back then they didn't have birth control, so of course they weaned when they got pregnant with the next one.

I personally feel like I wouldn't BF past age two, but it is NOBODY's business what other moms do with their kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Not everything that was done back then is socially or medically acceptable now. My grandma gave my mom evaporated milk well before the age of 1. I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know things change and not always for the better.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• lol, well there was definately formula in 1939 hun. but anyhow, my grandmother was born in 1922. she had a cousin who we call ms. vy and they would always make fun of her because she would run home after school to breast feed from her mother (or as my grandmother would say, "she ran home after school to suck on her momma's tit" lmao). and she did that until she was 11 years old!! now you know why they were picking on her for it lol. ms. vy's mother had 13 children all together. so just because your grandmother didn't know about it doesn't mean it didn't happen lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• LOTs of other countries have been doing that forever. Back in the day, though, women had to go out and work and also have a bazillion kids. Then, formula was invented and folks were made to think that formula was the best thing ever invented and breast milk was toxic. Also if you BF then you were considered a low class penniless nothing. Even before formula back in the 20's this was the thinking. They mixed dry milk or canned milk and water to give to baby. Now, we have a better understanding of babies and development. It started in the 60s and 70s with the more natural hippies. Now we now that BF to at least 2 is best.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I asked my husband's 92 year old grandmother (who is still as sharp as a tack mind you, she has no signs of dementia at all) if she had breast fed her 5 children... her reply "I don't know, I think I may have with some of them." I thought it was a hilarious answer coming from a woman who can tell you what she had for dinner on any given date in her history on Earth!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I don't know. I know that my mom was born in the 50s and my g-ma said they were told then that breastmilk was bad and formula was better so most ppl gave formula. It's amazing how things are constantly changing.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my grandmother told me she (and lots of other moms) would give their babies evaporated milk. and she worked full time so she weaned her 3 kids by about 6 months.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I know because of Freud's psychosexual theory (early 1900s) women were discouraged from breastfeeding because it was believed to result in oral fixations and unhealthy attachments between mother and child lol.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Try, the dawn of time... *shakes head*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010