What's your experience on csection?

Im debating if I should have csection or virginal. Im consider a high risk pregnancy per the doc. What's your experience on csection and what's the reason? How do you feel afterward? How long is your recovery time? Anything I should beware or prepare for it?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had one because my son was transverse (sideways). Personally, the pain was not nearly as bad as I expected, the recovery was quick, and overall I loved it. However, I think I got really lucky. Still, I was terrified beforehand and it was all for nothing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had 2 c-sections and they are not the walk in the park people make them out to be. Recovery is not fun (you don't realize how much you use your stomach muscles until they're cut open!), it hurts to laugh hard, sneeze, even poop! It's a major surgery, not something to take lightly.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well i think that everyone should try for a vaginal delievery, but if it is not possible then a c-section is a great alternative (well i guess it's the only alternative lol). i had severe pre-eclampsia with my first baby and was induced at 36 weeks, but that failed so i had my first c-section. the recovery from that was hard bc i was trying to recover from the surgery as well as the pre-eclampsia. i have had 2 repeat c-sections and i recovered from them quickly. i came home from the hospital and cooked dinner, light housework, etc. by the 3rd baby i only spent 2 days in the hospital before i came home. your recovery time will depend on why you're high risk. if it's something that your body will have to recover from in addition to the surgery it will take longer. if you're on bedrest during the last part of your pregnancy your recovery will take longer. otherwise it's not bad at all. they will give you pain meds (cont'd)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had 2 c-sections and they are not the walk in the park people make them out to be. Recovery is not fun (you don't realize how much you use your stomach muscles until they're cut open!), it hurts to laugh hard, sneeze, even poop! It's a major surgery, not something to take lightly."

I guess I did get lucky because I just felt like I had done a TON of sit-ups. Or, maybe I have a high pain tolerance. Op, if you do get one, try to walk around as soon as you're able to. I did that, and the nurses said that it probably helped in my speedy recovery. Seriously by two weeks I felt like I hadn't even had surgery. I had the surgery 10 months ago, and you can hardly even see my scar either, because I took really good care of it. If you end up having to have one, just follow all of the doctor's instructions perfectly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• With my 2nd I had a c-section.It was medically necessary at the time.It went really fast.I went into a recovery room where they had me change into a gown and they put in an i.v. They gave DH his dr.gown gear and he put that on.They took me down to the operating room,had me sit on th eedge of the table. Asked if I wanted a spinal or epidural. I went with the spinal.The anethesiologist put a needleinto my spine a little above the middle of my back.It hurt a little.I laid down, they set up,dh came in.My legs became very heavy, I couldnt feel anything from the waist down, I didnt like that feeling at all.Then they began.My body moved a lot with all the tugging and pulling,I began to shake pretty hard, I felt really cold..it was from the spinal.Next thing I know, I heard them say"oh my gosh, shes so cute!" and then I heard a cry.They were closing me up when they brought her all wrapped up to show me,then they took her out(cont...)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had one vaginal birth. Then a section. I was going into shock and they delivered her --my vertical scar opened up when they took the staples out. I had to have a visiting nurse twice a day for eight weeks to pack the wound. I guess it was natures way of slowing me down to take care of my baby.
    I had a v-back with my third. Here is the thing, if your healthy you will do fine. It is more difficult to recover with a section. It is major surgery. If it is necessary then it is necessary. Healthy baby and mother is what the goal is for you. Do what your doc recommends.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• and i used that for about a week (800 mg motrin). as far as preparation, just follow your pre-op instructions. i would suggest asking your dr. (well demanding lol) to do dissolving stitches instead of staples to close the incision. they heal much nicer and they are less prone to infection. but either way, gl! hope you have a healthy baby and you'll be fine if you have to get a c-section. they're not scary as you think lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I hated that I couldn't hold my son immediately after he was born. They took me to clean my up and they took him to the nursery and I was in turmoil for 25 - 30 minutes until they finally brought him in to me. They usually make you wait 3 hours before they bring the baby in!!! My husband (good guy that he is) pitched a fit until they brought me my baby. Once he was in my arms I didn't care about anything else in the world... including the staples in my belly.

I also remember that I had an allergic reaction to whatever drugs they injected into me and I was soooo itchy. I still didn't care as long as I had my son.

...really you'll care about very little else once you get your little bundle into your arms regardless of how he came out of you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i had a c section with my son, cuz he was too big for the birth canal. i tried a vbac with dd, but ended up with a c/s anyway. it's not bad, the recovery is ok, if your doctors know what they're doing. the ones that gave me a c/s with dd had no idea and didn't listen to me when i told them over and over i needed a blood trans, with the first c/s they said i'd need one if i had another one, after making me walk (which is normal procedure after a few hours of the c/s) they finally listened to me after i blacked out twice while standing up in my room, thankfully dh was right there to catch me. the recovery was like a month because of it.

to be honest, i really wish i could have had them vaginally. i know it hurts like heck, you don't know when they'll come, ect. but it's a bond/experience i wish i had with them & i couldn't hold my babies right away. it was a few hours before i could see & hold them. i urge you to do vaginal
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I had my C-section almost 3yrs ago. I also was having my tubes tied. I was in labor for 17hrs and was stuck at 8cm so the doctor thought it was time for a c-section. I was not nervous until they got me into the operating room. I didn't have that much pain afterwards until I went hm and then I developed a slight infection where the incision was. So watch out for that if you dicide to have one. I say it took about 1 month before I was feeling back to my self again. This was my second child my first was vaginal and much easier recovery.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 9:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010