I need advice on Potty training my 7 year old ASD Son...

I have got him to pee on the potty and that is with me taking him to the potty, over and over, but as far as poo, he won't, he acts all stressed out and uncomfortable and I know he has to go, but he won't and as soon as I put the pull up on, he goes poo... How do I teach him to know when he needs to go and go, and to relax enough to go poo in the potty... Thanks

Logansmom36

Asked by Logansmom36 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• gosh that is really old..when did you start trying to potty train..what does he do at school...maybe if you tell him his friends at school go on the potty...i don't know that sounds really unusual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• What does asd stand for cause I really don't know?
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 12:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yeah what is ASD?
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Sorry I did realize that was autism( didn't know the full name)

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I didn't realise we were talking about a kid with autism. I'm sorry, I made the first comment..and I take it back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have been training my autistic step son who is four steadily for the past year and it took a good 8 months before he went poo on it. He was scared to.

We have a reward program for my SS. We have a sheet of paper over the potty where he can put a sticker every time he goes. He is very proud every time he puts a sticker on.

As far as poo goes, this sounds gross but we are showing him when we go poo that poo is supposed to be in the potty. We also put him on the potty when he is in the middle of going poo and give him a sticker reward.

We also make sure he has several toys to keep him occupied on the potty as you know autistic kids have such a short attention span. Good Luck!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Do you have an idea when he has BM's? If you know that you can set him up for an accomplishment. I know in our house the hot water from my son's shower makes him go. I would suggest you start documenting when he goes and take it from there. I know you don't want to do this but you might want to get rid of the pull-ups during the day. He may not be feeling it in the pull-up and work with a reward system that way. When he acknowledges that he has a bm reward him, when he keeps the underwear on reward him, make this whole situation as positive as you can. Every little thing you can do to make it positive will help.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2008