Could this be labor or just body practicing?

I am 38 weeks along and this is my second pregnancy but is way different than before. I get cramping that comes and goes. It seems to get worse when I do housework and have a full bladder. I also get sharp pains "inside". Could that be my cervix doing something? I lost my plug with my son so I knew I was dilating a day or so before I had him. I haven't seen any plug/blood with this one, does that mean no cervical change for sure. Can you dilate with no bleeding, etc? Also doctor said this baby was very low in the pelvis, does that mean labor is near? My son never dropped. Sorry for so many questions. Thank you for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would guess it is your body getting ready. With my last child, he caused me all kinds of back pain and whatnot my last 2 mos. I only saw my bloody show with my first and I have four.
    Talk to your doctor and see what they say :)
    ChaoticAtBest

Answer by ChaoticAtBest at 9:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Some women never see their plug so that doesn't mean that there is no action going on. If the cramping stops, goes away completely, or is not in regular intervals then it's probably braxton hicks contractions. Remember the mantra "longer, stronger, and closer together" that's when contractions are real labor. The fact that it seems to be brought on by house work is another indicator that it's probably braxton hicks. These can be induced by over exertion. If they go away or get further apart when you drink some water and rest then you know for sure it's BH.

Either way, you're almost there so hang in!!! Congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think the cramps sound like labor pains. you don't have to bleed or lose your plug to start dialation. the baby being low in the pelvis is good but doesn't necessairly mean you're going into labor soon. but imo it sounds like you're starting to get there. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can dilate w/o blood. W/ my first pregnancy I lost the plug. With the second one there was a sharp pain in my groin. It felt as if he was trying to kick through. Very uncomfortable but that was when the effacement began.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you can dilate with no bleeding and you can also lose ur plug without knowing it .when your getting these pains are they staying or going away and then coming back if they stay and get worst then most likely they are real if they dont stay then they may be the braxton hicks
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can dilate without bleeding..
    Just because your baby is very low does not mean labor is very close..
    Tightening that gets worse with movement or a full bladder is more than likely just Braxton Hicks or an irritable uterus..
    You don't necessarily have to lose your plug or bleed before you go into labor..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• You can dialate without any blood at all. It could actually be normal or be the start of labor. My Son is low in my pelvis and has been causing what has felt like back labor for several weeks now but it's normal for this pregnancy because he is so low. I would just make a Drs appt and get checked to know for sure.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010