What do you think?

My dog has been acting up recently. Shes been peeing in the house overnight and chewing up things, which she never used to do. She is almost a year old and she's always been a wonderful dog. I don't want her doing this anymore for fear that she will get hold of my computer cords or furniture one night or the pee smell. I was thinking about crating her at night when I go to bed. Hubby lets her out very early when he gets up for work and I go to bed very late, so she wouldnt be in there long. What do you think and do you have any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pets

• has there been any recent changes that would make the dog stressed out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• crate training is a great idea. we went through this with my dog too. i know people think crates are mean, but they actually like it. its comfort for them. we went through the exact sam thing as you, and we crate trained for about 4 weeks, and the behavior went away after that and we were able to leave him out again!! good luck
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't have an answer to your behavior problem, but regarding crating . . . Our dog is a sweetheart! We adopted her and she was crate trained. She LOVES her crate. It's her place. She automatically goes there every night at 10PM and goes there when she knows we are leaving the house. Even when we leave her door unlatched she stays in there. It's not mean, it's not a punishment, it's simply her "den". So that's my vote on the "cruelty" of crating.
    Sarvin4

Answer by Sarvin4 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Do you think she could be "in heat"? Sometimes they get crazy then. If she has never been crate trained it might be tough, but she would eventually get used to it. Do you have a garage? My guy loves the garage... He would rather be in there than in the house. I let him out there most of the day when I am at home, otherwise he is in the house.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes I would crate train and also use a muzzle on her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• She may be acting out as a way to get your attention. Like "hey mom!! Something isn't right and I can;t talk so I'll pee on something nice to let you know!" Did you guys just have a baby? You or your DH change your schedules? Anything that will throw off the schedule she was used to? Also, I would definitely go with the crate thing. A crate gives a dog a warm, safe place. With out dog, we used to say "crate", give him a treat, and put him in there at night right before bed. It wasn't a week before he knew what the crate was for. If he ever got scared, that's where he went. And bc their crate is like their "den", they wont mess in there. They will hold it as long as they can to keep from peeing in their bed. And who would blame them? Don't we wake up in the middle of the night to pee? lol.

dys_momma

Answer by dys_momma at 7:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i crate all my dogs till they can prove themselves able to behave while i'm sleeping or gone. nd if they screw up after being out for a while i give them a refresher course in the crate. My one dog harley becomes very anxios when hes alone so he actually prefers the crate.
    wubbunny420

Answer by wubbunny420 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• watch its me or the dog on animal planet or the dog whisperer with cesan millan. they can help you determine the cause of your dogs problems. they are excellent.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2008