What do Atheists live for?

This question is a pure query and is non-judgmental.

Hubby feels that the hope of an afterlife makes life worth living (do good in high school and make it to college so to speak) and wonders what those who don't believe in the concept of heaven or heavenly reward find that make living a good life worth it?

Liansmommie

Asked by Liansmommie at 9:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Tim Curry in fishnet stockings,

It's just a jump to the left
    And then a step to the right
    With your hands on your hips
    You bring your knees in tight
    But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,
    Let's do the Time Warp again!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• As an athiest I find that I live in the moment. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is yet to be born, the only thing we have is the here and now. I don't need the promise of an "afterlife" to be a good person. I am a good person because I know that is how I need to be if I expect others to be good. It's that simple.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Just because someone doesn't believe in God, doesn't mean they don't love their families, kids, things they do. God is just another aspect/perspective in life. It doesn't mean they don't have a heart, feelings or goals in life.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Why do you assume an atheist cannot believe in an afterlife?? Atheism is merely the disbelief in any god. That does not necessarily dismiss an afterlife. But anyway, I live for the moment. I live for my children. I live life because I don't know 100% that there is an afterlife. (Though I have had some experiences that would lead me to believe there very well could be) If I am remebered fondly as a loving wife, devoted mother, and true friend, I think that alone makes it worth it. I don't need the hope of something better. I've got all I need now.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I live my life for me and my family. I don't need an afterlife. I think ahead to the time where I will be on my deathbed, all the wonderful memories I will have is all I needed in a lifetime, and that makes life worth living. I don't need rewarded afterwards, I am rewarded now with everything and everyone around me.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 10:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Like most people, I live for today, tomorrow, retirement, watching my daughter grow, many more loving years with DH, and making a positive impact on others, to name a few. If I'm cognizant enough at the end of my life to look back on how much happiness I experienced, that will be my reward.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Life day to day...why live ALL these years so focused on the "afterlife" that you miss these? I prefer to live day to day...I don't worry about the afterlife, I will see about that later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• They live for themselves and the people they love around them
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Some like to focus on the day to day. The honor in doing right and the feeling that come with it. Just as your husband is living for death basically some of live for life and the little joys it brings.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Since I do not believe in an afterlife, this life is all I have. Why would I want to waste it? Instead of hoping for a better tomorrow, I make the most of what I have today. I live for my husband, my kids, my friends and family, and mostly for myself.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010