when is the best time?

when do you usually start producing breast milk?

Maci.kate

Asked by Maci.kate at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ideally during labor I suppose. Seeing how the same hormone that starts labor also stimulates milk production. It can start earlier though as many will attest to.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I produced Colostrum pretty far into my pregnancy and my milk came in less than 24 hours after I had my son. Which I hear is rare. It usually takes a few days. But, the Colostrum is what is most important and will nourish them until the milk comes in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Every pregnancy is different. I always started leaking pretty early on. Around 24-25 weeks with all of my pregnancies.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Colustrum can start coming in before you go into labor but most commonly it comes in when the baby is born. Then about two to three days later the milk will come in. In the first few days the colustrum is all the baby needs. It has everything in it that they need and then your milk will come in.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I started leaking at 7 mths. My milk came in 2 days and had a lot for a first time mom.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Your milk doesn't usually come in until about 2-4 days after birth. Starting immediately after birth, your body produces colostrum, which is what baby gets (and all baby needs) until your milk comes in. Anything you leak during pregnancy is colostrum, but there's no set time as to when that happens; some women start leaking in the second trimester, some don't until the end of the pregnancy, and some don't leak at all during pregnancy. Whatever the case, it has nothing to do with how breastfeeding will go; I didn't leak at all with my second pregnancy and am still nursing my 15-month-old daughter.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• mine started leaking at 4-6 weeks pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm odd - LOL my doctor said so LOL but anyhow my milk took about a week to fully come in after birth -seemed like forever!!!!!!!! I supplement fed along with breast feeding until then unfortunately - I was bummed!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010