Clingy Baby

Over the past week it seems like my son has completely changed. He cries whenever I set him down, whenver I leave the room- always! My SO and i do not use child care and are with him all of the time.
Is this a normal stage of development? should we start taking him to some kind of baby class so he can interact with more people? I have asked the pediatritian if his limited interaction with people is okay, and he said it would be fine until he was about 2. He is only 11 months old and is starting to get a little kooky.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think this is normal, but I know it can be frustrating!! I would try maybe being around more family here and there and make sure you let others that you trust, hold him. Maybe it will help, my daughter is still very young (almost 3 months) and has already started this. I KNOW I have to do something now. I have been making her father spend more time with her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Normal... It will get bettter.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My daughter is almost 10 months old and has been like that since she was 4 months! Sometimes she'll have a week or two where she is all good, but all the sudden it changes. And if I ever shut a door behind me, like when I go to the bathroom, she flips! And shes only like this with me. Shes gotta be touching me at all times. Im a stay at home mom so she is always with me. Im trying to get into some play groups now so she can be around other people. My friends baby has been in daycare since she was 2 months and she is sooo independent! I think they just need to get more social with other people.
    JoonBug21

Answer by JoonBug21 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Actually he is very normal. Ive read from several phycologists that babies from birth to 3 months can recongnize a face proportion, but at around 4 to 6 months they recongnize who that face belongs to. Then around 6 to 9 months when mom, dad or caregive leaves them, they only know that that person is gone and to them its as if that person wont come back and they get upset. Try playing peek a boo with him. Make it fun and he will understand it as mommy/daddy is just silly and they will be back. May take a little bit, but it works. They don't have the mental knowledge yet that mom is just in the other room or went to the bathroom, but they think that person just vanished. It made sense to me, but its just a suggestion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• babies need their parents. it's normal, not clingy. my daughter is my shadow. but i take her out to play or in public everyday so she can interact w/ others & stay friendly. it works for us.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have a nephew that is the same way. He lives in Alabama and he came to visit me and my husband in North Carolina and my mother and sister said that he was never clingy. But after hos visit to NC now being back home in Al he cries now when they leave the room he has to go everywhere they go and he never wants to be put down and he doesnt even want to sleep in his own crib. And the reason he started that was because when he came to visit I took off work for the whole month and I was always there it was just me and him then later my husband would come home from work but I always gave him my undivided attention and he loved it and when he went back home to Al. he wanted the same thing but everyone there works and hes not in daycare anymore and they dont give him the attention I did.
    Mrs_Kay

Answer by Mrs_Kay at 1:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• So you arent doing anything wrong he just needs to be around other kids my nephew hasnt started back going back to daycare yet but Im sure that will help your son.
    Mrs_Kay

Answer by Mrs_Kay at 1:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My girl started two or three months ago. From what I read, I'm in it for the long haul. You and I are in the same boat. She's the same age as yours and I am a SAHM. She is not at a lack of interaction, she is just a mama's girl. She likes always having a hand on me. She's old enough to know when I leave, I'm only behind the door or downstairs or what have you, she just wants to be right along with me. My SO was at home when this started, so it's not a primary caregiver situation, either. I've learned where to draw the line and when to let her cry. Decide what's acceptable to you and stick with it. Research says it could be four more months before our babies outgrown this, so set limits you can live with.
    randomsoliloquy

Answer by randomsoliloquy at 8:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Not to worry Mama! Separation Anxiety is a very normal phase of development. I know that it can make you crazy at times, but it just means that he is becoming more aware of who he "belongs" to. Socialization is good, but ultimately, only you can judge how comfortable he is. I hope this helps! Please feel free to email me!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008