Does anyone out there have a husband or boyfriend that has ADHD?

My boyfriend has it...BIG TIME. I'm trying very hard to be understanding, but sometimes it gets to be too much to handle. He currently lives with his mom (it's just easier for him because she helps him a lot), but he wants us to move in together. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on his illness. I love him dearly, but I'm a professional in the area of ADHD.

How do YOU cope?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes my Husband was diagnosed as a kid , My son was Dx last year as well. Its very very hard sometimes. I take it one day at a time and constantly remind myself they really are NOT out to get me or make my life imposiible.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husband has ADD and my son has ADHD. I handle it one day at a time (and sometimes one hour at a time!).
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh my GOD yes. My DH is on Concerta, it helps a lot. He also exercises 1-2 hours 6 days a week. It really helps with bringing his energy level down. Before he was on Concerta he self-medicated with caffeine... he would drink 1-2 pots of coffee a day.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yes, thankfully he can control a lot of the issues on his own but the stuff he can't he talks to a therapist or me. Its a one day at a time thing.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010