MIL issues

What do you do about a MIL that doesn't want to stay out of your business? I know she thinks she's helping but if I'm stressing out then how is that helping? It's not just today. One of these days I might just flip. She borrowed money and can't pay it back (our wedding gift money that was going to buy me a car as i don't have one and am driving my own mother's) but yet she can go and get more credit cards and pay those bills...and she can't pay her part of the house bills, which let me tell you she paid more when she lived here alone. Now she just wants to walk in and take over the house. Borrows things without asking, I know it's horrible to gripe about but washes and DRIES my laundry...I don't put everything in the dryer...

UGH. Okay...i guess i needed to blow a gasket. Sorry.

hlevesque1976

Asked by hlevesque1976 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• this will sound HORRIBLE I know I will be bashed, but here is how I handle the MIL...and hon we may have the same one...
    She will not live forever. Now that doesnt mean take all the stuff she dishes, it just means...she will not always be in your business. I am not saying I want her to die, but I do think one day...she will NOT be up in my business.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Take some time for yourself to calm down. Go for a girls night out, out for a walk, or something. If you snap around her it will get worse. I lived with my inlaws and I know the feeling.
    When you feel calm and in control of yourself again then talk to her about some of things bothering you
    ajmfmommy

Answer by ajmfmommy at 10:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i know and that usually helps me out too. but it's been a really bad week and coming home to my fav WHITE nightgown found in the basket of washed dark clothes that she washed (and was going to dry til i spoke up) with something RED in it...guess you can tell what color it is now. UGH. This too shall pass....just take a deep breath and a shower...and have a good cry. LOL and no bashing on this question. I'm not saying i'm anywhere NEAR perfect...but when it comes to my stuff...it's my stuff. back off.
    hlevesque1976

Comment by hlevesque1976 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• she can come do my laundry! lol you need to have your husband talk to her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i knw what you mean my mil borrowed oney as well and can not pay it bk puts us ina big bind and yeah she did the same thigns to me i dnt dry everything wither jsut open up and tell her how u feel
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Whose home is it yours or hers. If it's yours, you need to reclaim your house and tell your husband that she needs to move out. If the home is hers, she is taking advantage of you in more ways than one. Doesn't she have any income? Tell your husband that something has to be done, or one day you're going to blow a gasket, and it won't be a pretty site.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• it is both of ours. she took out a mort last year to put an in-law apt off the back for her. I pay the mort. it's just so hard some days. no privacy. she wanted to sell because the house was getting to be too big for her. My DH didn't want her to sell the family home so we did this instead of getting our own place and having to take care of both ours and hers. but it's just constant....Need room and my own space i guess.
    hlevesque1976

Comment by hlevesque1976 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010