colering my hair?

is it safe to coler hair while pregnant?

Maci.kate

Asked by Maci.kate at 10:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Yep. Just be in a well ventilated area.
    The only problem you may run into is your hair not taking to the colour because of your hormones. It might just wash right out. Other than that, it's not going to seep into your pores and effect the baby in any way. Just open a window so that the fumes aren't over powering and you'll be fine.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It depends on who you ask. My midwife prefers that expectant Mom's avoid all chemicals.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes. Just make sure the room is nice and airy.
    The only real thing to worry about is the smell making you sick. Also one other thing, the color may not take to your hair as well as youd like. I dyed my hair when i was pregnant with my third.. it looked the exactly the same as it did before.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I seriously wouldn't risk it, but I am one of those who are avoiding all chemicals I can during pregnancy. That and with the shift in hormones, your hair might not take to the coloring process.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The riskiest time is the 1st trimester, so wait till your 2nd.

Countless hairdressers have given birth to happy healthy babies, so don't worry about it too much.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes. I colored my hair 3 times while being pregnant and my daughter came out healthy and normal. There's no real research proving it's harmful it's just not recommended.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• why is it potentially harmful? Because ammonia can be harmful to an unborn baby...

mainly in the first trimester..

however there isn't enough fumes or ammonia in most hair colorings to really do enough damage.. (but again, ammonia is ammonia, like they say not to change the kitty litter, same reasons).

so really the choice is yours..

personally I would stay the same level or go darker.. (even less ammonia.. so long as you don't use box)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My dr told me after 5months its safe due to the fact baby is more developed
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't risk it with anything except henna I natural hair color....you can buy it from Hennaforhair.com
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Absolutely!!! I got my hair done all the time when I was preggo with both of my boys!!! The color chemicals are not strong enough to effect the baby.....
    missbritt22

Answer by missbritt22 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010