Home schooling?

Okay so I have a couple questions here..

1. Where can I find home schooling information?
2. What are your views on homeschooling?

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Google is your friend. There is so much information available about home-schooling. Yahoo groups, cafemom groups, facebook groups, blogs, websites, it's all over the web.

I home-school my two boys, more precisely we unschool, and we couldn't be happier. It works for our family, but that doesn't mean it will work for every family.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Join the Cafemom group called Happy Homeschoolers! =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Happy Homeschoolers :) I'm a homeschooling parent, so of course, I am for homeschooling. =)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• By the way, I homeschool, so my views are pretty obvious. I suggest that group because there is great advice waiting to be read there. You should google for your state homeschooling laws.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• you could check out the K-12 public online school program www.k-12.com

I know that personally I don't have the patience for doing elemtary school at home but am looking into homeschooling for middle & high school if the kids want to do it.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Happy Homeschoolers group!!
    I HS DD and love it! I started just doing a pre-k program with her, and she took off. She is now 4 1/2(5 sept. 25) and will be finishing kindergarten at the end of November. We will be starting 1st grade in January.

Find some HS families in your area to talk to. Check out your local library, they usually have a ton of resources available, as well as a list of contact people. HS is so far from the stereotype these days it is not funny. There are groups and co-ops you can get involved in. They have field trips, dances, even graduation for HS students. I was surprised when I really started looking into it. I would love to chat more if you want. Ask me anything, I will try to answer, or at least find an answer for you:)
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Google! To start you can learn about your state laws @ HSLDA: State Laws. Personally I think it's a personal choice. We homeschool, but I know it's NOT for everyone. :) There are few anti-homeschoolers around. So much so they will sling the typical anti-homeschooling rhetoric: lack of socialization, parents are not qualified, etc. If you are serious about wanting to homeschool the first step is to learn your state laws and see if you can follow them. From there decided what you want a curriculum to do, what are your goals, and price point. Once you have that then look for curriculum to fit your needs, wants, and budget. Use Google! It's your friend!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• UPDATE - Okay so here is a little about my family. First my son is only 7 months.. so I have a while, but hubby isn't sure how he feels so we need a while =( What age did you star home schooling? Did you start with Pre-K? I have joined the group! Look forward to it. With the State Laws, we move ALL the time as hubby is in the Army, this being one reason why I want to home school. I hope some of this helps =)
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have been home-schooling my boys since the day they were born, and nothing changed when they became of compulsory age, except I had to inform my county they would not be attending the public school. It is never too early to start working with your children.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We decided to homeschool before our children were born, so we have essentially home-educated from day 1. We will not have to file notice with the state until our son is almost 7 and in the 1st grade. However, we have been formally homeschooling since preschool.

You will definitely have to stay on top of those individual state homeschooling laws with your relocating situation. Some states are very easy to homeschool in, others are much more complicated. See you in the group!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2010